You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am considering buying a macbook 12 inch. Some people say it

I am considering buying a macbook 12 inch. Some people say it's got a lot of problems and are not recommending it. Others say it's not a good idea as its software will soon be obsolete. Any advice?

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 8:40 AM

Are you referring to the 2017 MacBook? If so, I have one and it has basically been flawless for my intended goals for using it. However, I will share two things that you should be aware of before getting one:

1. The notebook uses the "butterfly" keys which were introduced at that time, along with them on the MacBook Pro & Air models. Since then, Apple has redesigned these keys based on user input and the newest Pro & Air models no longer are equipped with these keys. I find them acceptable, but it did take some getting used to. Your experience may be different.
  2. This notebook only has a single USB-C port. This port is NOT Thunderbolt 3 capable. However, a number of third-party sources provided multi-port extensions should you need additional ports. For example, should you need to connect this notebook to an Ethernet network, you will need to get a USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter. This port is also used for charging so any multi-port adapter should also include a charging port.

As far as software, I am currently running the very latest version of macOS Catalina. Apple provides support up to five years after they stop producing a product. The last 2017 MacBook were produced in July 2019. Doing the math tells you it will still be supported by July 2024.

Other than those two things, I really like my MacBook. You cannot find another Mac notebook that is a portable as this one and my only wish is for Apple to reconsider bringing out new models in the future.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2020 8:40 AM in response to Msalaheldin

Are you referring to the 2017 MacBook? If so, I have one and it has basically been flawless for my intended goals for using it. However, I will share two things that you should be aware of before getting one:

1. The notebook uses the "butterfly" keys which were introduced at that time, along with them on the MacBook Pro & Air models. Since then, Apple has redesigned these keys based on user input and the newest Pro & Air models no longer are equipped with these keys. I find them acceptable, but it did take some getting used to. Your experience may be different.
  2. This notebook only has a single USB-C port. This port is NOT Thunderbolt 3 capable. However, a number of third-party sources provided multi-port extensions should you need additional ports. For example, should you need to connect this notebook to an Ethernet network, you will need to get a USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter. This port is also used for charging so any multi-port adapter should also include a charging port.

As far as software, I am currently running the very latest version of macOS Catalina. Apple provides support up to five years after they stop producing a product. The last 2017 MacBook were produced in July 2019. Doing the math tells you it will still be supported by July 2024.

Other than those two things, I really like my MacBook. You cannot find another Mac notebook that is a portable as this one and my only wish is for Apple to reconsider bringing out new models in the future.

I am considering buying a macbook 12 inch. Some people say it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.