You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2013 Mac Air notebook. I'd like to hook it to my TV which has an HDMI port. What kind of a cable to do I need to purchase?

I have a 2013 Mac Air notebook. I like to hook it to my television which has an HDMI port - in essence to watch on television what is showing on my laptop. What kind of a cable do I need?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 9:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 9:59 AM

From Apple's technical specifications for your MacBook Air, the following are what video outputs are supported with this device.

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

Specifically, for connecting your notebook to a HDMI port, you would need a Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter as noted in the last line.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2020 9:59 AM in response to debi148

From Apple's technical specifications for your MacBook Air, the following are what video outputs are supported with this device.

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

Specifically, for connecting your notebook to a HDMI port, you would need a Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter as noted in the last line.

I have a 2013 Mac Air notebook. I'd like to hook it to my TV which has an HDMI port. What kind of a cable to do I need to purchase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.