You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing not working with Apple News+

I have a subscription to Apple News+ and have Family Sharing enabled. 

My wife is on on my Family Sharing list, but when she opens the News app, it won’t allow her to read "premium" content. The News app keeps asking her to sign up for the free trial period. However, she should be able to read all News+ content because of my subscription. 

I’ve disabled and re-enabled Family Sharing. I've removed and re-added my wife to the shared list, all to no avail. Suggestions, anyone?

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 4:30 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2020 10:43 AM in response to dennisfromgoodlettsville

Hi there dennisfromgoodlettsville,

I’m happy to see that you posted to the Apple Support Communities for assistance and I understand that your wife hasn’t been able to access that shared Apple News+ subscription. It’s my pleasure to assist you. 

If you’re using iOS devices, please ensure that both of you are running the latest version of iOS. At the moment, that would be iOS 13.3.1 The steps here will help you with updating if needed: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Also, try restarting your iOS device: Restart your iPhone

You’ll notice at the top of that article that there are links to the restart methods for the iPad and the iPod as well.

If the issue persists, reach out here for additional support: Contact Apple Support

Take care. 

Feb 6, 2020 7:08 PM in response to dennisfromgoodlettsville

Howdy dennisfromgoodlettsville,

Thanks for that clarification. In that case, check for any macOS updates: How to update the software on your Mac.

If your wife’s Mac doesn’t have any pending updates, she can also create a brand-new user account and test there: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue persists, reach out here for additional support: Contact Apple Support

Wishing you the best!

Family Sharing not working with Apple News+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.