You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware Test doesn't run on MBP Retina mid 2012, 15inch / Error Code: Cannot load EFI/Drivers/TestSupport.efi

Hey,

my MBP Fans are ridiculous loud even if I do nothing, YES I cleaned them and changed the thermal paste. Nothing happened so I wanted to run AHT by pressing d at the start but I got a error code, than I installed the AHT on an external USB and tried to run it this way but NOPE nothing happened I got the same error code again. My MBP have problems with batterie, fans and Display but I never did something wrong with it.

I think the whole logic board is broken for some reason

Can I start AHT on a second Mac and let it run for my broken MBP ?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 2:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 8:52 PM

CanCan31 wrote:

Hey,

my MBP Fans are ridiculous loud even if I do nothing, YES I cleaned them and changed the thermal paste.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if you still have the problem.

Does Activity Monitor show high CPU utilization?

If so you can also run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

If not, then try holding the Option key just after the startup chime and let it sit at the Apple boot picker menu. Does the fan(s) run at full speed? If so, then you likely have a defective temperature sensor somewhere.

Nothing happened so I wanted to run AHT by pressing d at the start but I got a error code, than I installed the AHT on an external USB and tried to run it this way but NOPE nothing happened I got the same error code again.

If you have AHT on a USB drive, then you would need to Option Boot the USB drive assuming it is bootable. How did you acquire AHT and how did you make the USB drive with it?

My MBP have problems with batterie, fans and Display but I never did something wrong with it.

What issues do you have with the Display?

A battery does contain a temperature sensor so with some types of battery issues/failures this sensor may not be seen by the Logic Board which would cause the system fan(s) to run at high speed for safety.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 5, 2020 8:52 PM in response to CanCan31

CanCan31 wrote:

Hey,

my MBP Fans are ridiculous loud even if I do nothing, YES I cleaned them and changed the thermal paste.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if you still have the problem.

Does Activity Monitor show high CPU utilization?

If so you can also run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

If not, then try holding the Option key just after the startup chime and let it sit at the Apple boot picker menu. Does the fan(s) run at full speed? If so, then you likely have a defective temperature sensor somewhere.

Nothing happened so I wanted to run AHT by pressing d at the start but I got a error code, than I installed the AHT on an external USB and tried to run it this way but NOPE nothing happened I got the same error code again.

If you have AHT on a USB drive, then you would need to Option Boot the USB drive assuming it is bootable. How did you acquire AHT and how did you make the USB drive with it?

My MBP have problems with batterie, fans and Display but I never did something wrong with it.

What issues do you have with the Display?

A battery does contain a temperature sensor so with some types of battery issues/failures this sensor may not be seen by the Logic Board which would cause the system fan(s) to run at high speed for safety.

Feb 5, 2020 4:18 PM in response to CanCan31

Firmware changes, drive upgrades all these effect you ability to boot to D.

If you want help independent of this— state what the bigger problem is that makes you want to run the AHT to begin with (?) If it does not boot you are dead in the water.

You can always—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

I can add that Apple's on-the-bench diagnostic (AST ) is much more comprehensive.

Hardware Test doesn't run on MBP Retina mid 2012, 15inch / Error Code: Cannot load EFI/Drivers/TestSupport.efi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.