You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote - Group Overlapping Objects

Hello Everyone: I have some text and a rectangle shape behind the text to make the text stand out from the slide background, and I want to Group these 2 objects. However, the text is slightly bigger than the rectangle and I can't figure out how to select both items at the same time so that I can Group them. Even though the underlying shape is visible through the text, I can't get at it to select it without moving the text.

Does that make sense? Also, I am using the iCloud version of Keynote.

Thanks. . .

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 2:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 4:15 AM

an alternative way to do this

1. place a shape on the slide
  2. position and size the shape
  3. double click the shape to enter text mode, then paste or type in the text
  4. use the text inspector to format the text

7 replies

Feb 7, 2020 1:29 PM in response to medwds

Hi Martin: Thanks for your reply and suggestion. Although the text content is contained within backing shape, the text area is still slightly bigger than the shape, so no part of the shape is exposed to be selected. I tried your suggestion, but I still cannot select the 2 items at the same time.

What I have figured out is that it is easier to reduce the font size so that does not cover the backing shape, and so I can select and group the 2 items. It's not the exact effect that I want, but it will do.

Cheers - thanks for your help. . .

Feb 7, 2020 2:04 PM in response to akn_39

No worries! Though, it works for me! Even if I completely obscure one rectangle behind another, I can select both by dragging across them. You can tell when the hidden one becomes selected because its corner and side handles appear. I've tested it in both the desktop application and on iCloud.com. Of course, it's quite possible I misunderstood the situation. And in any case, I'm glad you've found a workaround.

Feb 7, 2020 5:46 PM in response to akn_39

Hi Martin: OK, my mistake. Of course, clicking and dragging over the 2 items will select them both, even if one completely covers the other. The reason it wasn't working for me is that I had another image under the 2 text and shape objects, and when I started the click and drag outside the text and shape objects, that other image was selected. Moving it out of the way allows the text and shape to be selected and grouped.

Sorry for the confusion - thanks for your help and encouragement. 

Regards 

Keynote - Group Overlapping Objects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.