You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trade In

I want to trade in my Mac Book Air for an IMac. The Apple store told me to do it online. I am unclear as to how I can do this and get credit for the trade in? Also unclear of the sequence to be sure I get the IMac before I send in the Mac Book so I can transfer my data.

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 8:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 9:42 AM

See the information in Apple Trade In - Apple

Note in particular the "Frequently Asked Questions" near the bottom of that page.

One of the things in that section is the following (but also check the rest of the section):

If you accept the trade-in estimate online when you purchase a new Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, we’ll arrange for you to send us your old device. Once we receive it, we’ll inspect it and verify its condition. If everything checks out, we’ll credit your original purchase method and send you any remaining balance on an Apple Store Gift Card via email.

Also, when ordering online, after you click the "Buy" button to start the selection and ordering process, note the following near the top of the screen:

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 8, 2020 9:42 AM in response to WLR1

See the information in Apple Trade In - Apple

Note in particular the "Frequently Asked Questions" near the bottom of that page.

One of the things in that section is the following (but also check the rest of the section):

If you accept the trade-in estimate online when you purchase a new Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, we’ll arrange for you to send us your old device. Once we receive it, we’ll inspect it and verify its condition. If everything checks out, we’ll credit your original purchase method and send you any remaining balance on an Apple Store Gift Card via email.

Also, when ordering online, after you click the "Buy" button to start the selection and ordering process, note the following near the top of the screen:

Feb 8, 2020 6:27 PM in response to WLR1

Please note that Apple uses third party "partners" (companies) who will actually receive, check it and then offer you a firm price on it. This can take a while. And, you would need to pay for the new machine first, then get a gift card (or whatever) later which can be applied to another/different purchase - unless you want to get rid of your old one first. You could simply make 2 full backups (to be safe) to external hard drives, get rid of your old one, and then transfer your data to the new one when you get it. Of course, you wouldn't have a computer for a couple of weeks or so, so that may not be an ideal workaround.

Also, please take pics of your device, inside and out, and insure it to its full value before sending it in. That will be your proof of the condition of your machine if something should happen to it.

Trade In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.