You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need Mac OS 10.6 HELP PLEASE

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 11:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 5:27 PM

Specifically what do you need help with in 10.6?

If it is web browsing, Safari is not supported, but there are Firefox and older versions of Chrome that might suffice.

Is there a need to run Java or iCloud?

10.6 is usable, but there are certain limits. We'd be happy to explain what those are, if you have a program that you are aware only runs on 10.6.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 15, 2020 5:27 PM in response to mietko

Specifically what do you need help with in 10.6?

If it is web browsing, Safari is not supported, but there are Firefox and older versions of Chrome that might suffice.

Is there a need to run Java or iCloud?

10.6 is usable, but there are certain limits. We'd be happy to explain what those are, if you have a program that you are aware only runs on 10.6.

Feb 11, 2020 2:07 PM in response to mietko

Hello, meitko.

I understand you're looking for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

That OS is no longer available from or supported by Apple. The only way to get it is to purchase it from a third party vendor like some of those on Amazon or eBay, or through other sources. You will usually find it offered on DVD as it was originally delivered from Apple, or on a flash drive or even as a download. Unfortunately, there is no vouching for the integrity or quality of these offerings, so you must beware.

You don't say which Macintosh model you need this for.

It might be easier to purchase and install macOS 10.7 Lion on your Mac. That is still available as a download direct from Apple. Would that option meet your needs?

Feb 15, 2020 5:29 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

D.I., installing 10.7 on 10.6 is only possible if you upgraded to 10.6.6 first.

That is a free download, but they mentioned 10.6 specifically. Let's find out what they need with 10.6 first before suggesting an upgrade. 10.6.8 is the last operating system that supported Rosetta, which kept old PowerPC Apps available on Intel Macs.

They may have need to maintain that.

Also CoreSolo, and CoreDuo (not Core2Duo) are not able to upgrade past 10.6.8.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.