You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete foreign language fonts from my font menus?

I have Font Xplorer Pro installed

but all the foreign fonts and fonts like Noto keep on clogging the font menus in all of the adobe apps.

I just cannot seem to disable them.

Its really frustrating that this has been an issue for some time now.

Anybody here with a view on this?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 5:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 6:29 AM

In Catalina, all OS installed fonts have been moved to the /System/Library/Fonts/ folder. No font manager can disable any of them.

Font Book has had that little "gotcha" for years. It will let you choose Disable for fonts in the System folder, but then doesn't actually do anything.

There is only one solution for these fonts in Catalina. You must boot to another drive or partition with an OS on it, then remove the unneeded fonts from the non-startup drive.

Assuming English is your first language, there are a lot of fonts you don't need on the drive. You can pare it down to the absolute minimum as per the list in my article, Font Management in macOS. The required fonts for the System's Fonts folder, and Supplemental folder are listed.

Make sure to first save copies of all OS installed fonts. If there are any your third party apps require to launch or display correctly, you can reactivate the copied fonts with your font manager.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Edit: Too slow! Barney-15E beat me to the link. 🙂

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 12, 2020 6:29 AM in response to Burgwood

In Catalina, all OS installed fonts have been moved to the /System/Library/Fonts/ folder. No font manager can disable any of them.

Font Book has had that little "gotcha" for years. It will let you choose Disable for fonts in the System folder, but then doesn't actually do anything.

There is only one solution for these fonts in Catalina. You must boot to another drive or partition with an OS on it, then remove the unneeded fonts from the non-startup drive.

Assuming English is your first language, there are a lot of fonts you don't need on the drive. You can pare it down to the absolute minimum as per the list in my article, Font Management in macOS. The required fonts for the System's Fonts folder, and Supplemental folder are listed.

Make sure to first save copies of all OS installed fonts. If there are any your third party apps require to launch or display correctly, you can reactivate the copied fonts with your font manager.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Edit: Too slow! Barney-15E beat me to the link. 🙂

Feb 12, 2020 6:45 AM in response to Burgwood

Not just Adobe users. Everyone. There is no other way in Catalina to remove the large number of unneeded fonts.

Well, you can boot into Safe Mode and then navigate to those folders via Terminal. But those aren't the kind of instructions I'm comfortable posting here. Much, much too easy to seriously screw up a computer if the user isn't familiar with the Unix command line.

How can I delete foreign language fonts from my font menus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.