You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can someone tell me exactly what software needs to be updated for my iPhone 7 running iOS 13 to be able to sync with my mac running mojave? Thanks

can someone tell me exactly what software needs to be updated for my iPhone 7 running iOS 13 to be able to sync with my mac running mojave? Thanks

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 2:48 PM

10 replies

Feb 14, 2020 9:07 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hi, was the screen shot I attached helpful? Still trying to figure out exactly what update apple wants to install before I click install. I don't really want to upgrade to catalina and I am concerned that is what it wants me to do. Don't want to click install and have no way of going back. thanks for any help or suggestions you might have

Feb 14, 2020 9:30 AM in response to kid94c

Hi. Yes it is helpful. It looks to me like there's a software update being requested for the Mac.

Maybe there's a Mojave security update that needs to be installed.

Apple menu  > About This Mac > Software Update...

Install any waiting Mojave OS updates, including and especially any Security or iTunes updates.

Try to make the connection to the iPhone again after.

edit- It would also be helpful to know exactly which macOS version you are currently running.

Feb 14, 2020 9:46 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

I am running 10.14.6 version of iOS. I looked and the only update that the computer his showing is upgrade to catalina. I previously did an security update which I thought would solve this issue and there was also a update to safari that I didn't do but that update is no longer listed so I am not sure if it did it automatically for some reason or as part of the security update or if it is just not available any longer. my safari is 13.0.5. iTunes version is 12.9.5.5

Feb 14, 2020 10:06 AM in response to kid94c

Hmmm, interesting. 🤔

Upgrade to Catalina is NOT required in this case, so not to fret about that.

I would shut down both the iPhone and the Mac. Then reboot both and try to make the connection again.

If that does not work, try to make the connection with a different Lightning cable to the iPhone. Maybe you have a less-than-optimal cable.

And I understand your reluctance to click the Install button there, but I see no indication that it is anything other than a valid OS request.

If you'd like to check for an adware or malware conflict you might download and run Malwarebytes. It's safe and free - no need to purchase the full meal deal there just for this.

Feb 15, 2020 7:42 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Just wanted to let you know that I installed the update with out any problems and now my iPhone and computer sync with no problems. The computer never listed what was installed but it was not catalina as you guys predicted. I clicked install and it down loaded in about a minute and installed 2 minutes later. I did not have to close any apps or restart and everything worked. crisis averted. thanks to everyone for there help and advise. It never did identify the as to what was updated.

Feb 15, 2020 7:45 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Just wanted to let you know that I installed the update with out any problems and now my iPhone and computer sync with no problems. The computer never listed what was installed but it was not catalina as you guys predicted. I clicked install and it down loaded in about a minute and installed 2 minutes later. I did not have to close any apps or restart and everything worked. crisis averted. thanks to everyone for there help and advise. It never did identify the as to what was updated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.