You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina causing slow Internet issue

Catalina causing slow Internet issue.Is there any easy fix besides going back to High Sierra? I upgraded Catalina a week ago and my very first Internet slow down to a crawl from 225 Mbp second to 50. Xfinity swapped out the router which did not fix the issue. This is only an issue with my laptop which is a 2018 early MacBook Pro 13 inch with touchpad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 8:35 AM

12 replies

Feb 14, 2020 11:32 AM in response to bradleymhale73

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

Feb 15, 2020 7:09 AM in response to babowa

I actually swapped out the ethernet cable but the one that I’ve been using for a while with a new one. Then I went Show me Internet providers speed test site and Bam back to Best speed. Who knew would be simply something like changing the ethernet cable. Wish I had thought of this when the cable guy was doing all the testing and ask him if he had a ethernet cable would have resolved everything yesterday.

Thank you everyone for your help

Feb 15, 2020 10:42 AM in response to bradleymhale73

Yes, we'd like to know where you saw those comments. The creator of MalwareBytes, Thomas Reed, is a respected security analyst and has been reported on by many of the Mac sites, including OSXDaily: This article with video that was recored at the MacAdmins conference at Penn State University: Top Mac Malware & Threats: Watch a MacAdmins Presentation on MacOS Threat Landscape 

So link us to those sites so we can evaluate.

Feb 15, 2020 11:51 AM in response to bradleymhale73

FWIW, etrecheck is also available at the app store or directly from the developer. It does not reveal private info, but gives an excellent snapshot of what apps or processes may be causing a problem.

Malwarebytes for Mac is one of the few (only?) recommended apps to get rid of adware, etc. But, you can just run it if/when you need it. I rarely get anything so I think I've run it twice in 10 years or so.

Catalina causing slow Internet issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.