You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina 10.15.3 log out for no reason (and after screen sharing)

My father's iMac stay open 24/7 so we can call him on skype which is set to auto-answer.

He's 95 and he does not want to touch the computer :-)

He didn't touch the computer since his first iMac back in 2006, and we call him everyday.

Since we update to 10.15.3. even if all setting are set to not require the password, we sometime get logout, and we can't call him..

And also when I finish screen sharing with the iMac, it is log out automatically, never happened before.

The current setting are

Security & Privacy -> General - Require password - Not check

Users & Group -> Login option - automatic login - ON for his account

Energy Saver -> Start up Automatically after power failure - Checked

Energy Saver -> Turn off display after 1 minutes

Any suggestion ?

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 2:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 7:29 AM

Hi there, Franco.

I see that, after setting up y our father's iMac to always be on and not logging out of his account, is now logging out of his account frequently. Good job on the settings you've used, and I'm glad to help with this.

Set your Mac to log out when not in use -- See if "Log out after..." has been turned on under Apple menu  > System Preference > Security & Privacy > General.

Use the Energy Saver settings on your Mac -- Make sure that Computer Sleep is set to Never.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2020 7:29 AM in response to Franco Borgo

Hi there, Franco.

I see that, after setting up y our father's iMac to always be on and not logging out of his account, is now logging out of his account frequently. Good job on the settings you've used, and I'm glad to help with this.

Set your Mac to log out when not in use -- See if "Log out after..." has been turned on under Apple menu  > System Preference > Security & Privacy > General.

Use the Energy Saver settings on your Mac -- Make sure that Computer Sleep is set to Never.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Feb 23, 2020 12:30 PM in response to Leanne_68

the energy saver setting: Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off was checked

...for years. We never touch it.

I help a lot of people in out MUG and we have a Joke about saying "I never touch that " but now it seems I am on the other side of the joke now. I just look at it and it was, in fact, not checked.. I never touch that :-)

but it is very strange, because I never had this problem until that last update...

well, problem solved. Thank you.

Catalina 10.15.3 log out for no reason (and after screen sharing)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.