You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popup in corner of screen

I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) that is using macOS Mojave v.10.14.6.

I get regular pop-up reminders in the upper right corner of my screen that say “UPDATES AVAILABLE: Do you want to restart to install these updates now or try tonight?” I have been selecting “try tonight” and then select that the system ask again tomorrow.

How can I find out what update this pop-up is referring to?

I have heard that the next OS (Catalina) will not run my current versions of Excel or Word (v 14.7.2), and I that be forced to switch to subscription versions of these programs. It this correct?

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 6:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 7:03 PM

For information about the updates you can look at Apple Menu > About this Mac > Software Updates or open the Mac App Store and click on the Updates tab on the left.

As for Catalina, it is true that old 32 bits applications will not run on it. I suggest you contact Microsoft for updates and licensing options.

Meanwhile, nothing force you to update to Catalina.

Hope that helps,

WD

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 18, 2020 7:03 PM in response to wjhall

For information about the updates you can look at Apple Menu > About this Mac > Software Updates or open the Mac App Store and click on the Updates tab on the left.

As for Catalina, it is true that old 32 bits applications will not run on it. I suggest you contact Microsoft for updates and licensing options.

Meanwhile, nothing force you to update to Catalina.

Hope that helps,

WD

Feb 18, 2020 7:02 PM in response to wjhall

Hello.

Those pop ups are the App Store informing you of updates available for macOS and apps that you have downloaded from the App Store.

To see what updates are available, click Apple menu  App Store... then click the Updates button at the top of the window.

You can control whether the App Store automatically checks for updates and installs them or just notifies you about them by clicking System Preferences > App Store.

And yes, it is very possible that Catalina may break some of the apps you are currently using. Us Go64 to check which of your apps are 32-bit or 64-bit. The 32-bit apps will not run in Catalina and will require updates before you upgrade.

Popup in corner of screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.