You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use lightning accessory through adapter with my iPad Pro (2018)?

So I have a Lightning accessory for my old iPad Pro, and now I have the new one which uses USB type-c. I wonder if I can use it with my new iPad with an adapter? Want to be sure before buying one.

thank you!

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 3:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 4:46 AM

Sorry, no.

Any accessories that incorporate a Lighting Connector are not compatible with USB-C. Lightning and USB are completely different interfaces - and an interface-converter from one to the other does not exist; it’s not a simple case of finding a “plug adapter”.

Third-party accessories that feature a Lightning connector, under the terms of Apple’s MFI Licence, unless they offer generic functionality (such as a microphone) are also “keyed” to a specific third-party App. As such, proprietary devices can only be used with the corresponding App.

In summary, if you wish to continue using third-party accessories that have a Lightning connector, you will require an iPad/iPhone with a Lightning port.

I hope you find this information helpful in informing your future iPad purchase.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 24, 2020 4:46 AM in response to wasd0109

Sorry, no.

Any accessories that incorporate a Lighting Connector are not compatible with USB-C. Lightning and USB are completely different interfaces - and an interface-converter from one to the other does not exist; it’s not a simple case of finding a “plug adapter”.

Third-party accessories that feature a Lightning connector, under the terms of Apple’s MFI Licence, unless they offer generic functionality (such as a microphone) are also “keyed” to a specific third-party App. As such, proprietary devices can only be used with the corresponding App.

In summary, if you wish to continue using third-party accessories that have a Lightning connector, you will require an iPad/iPhone with a Lightning port.

I hope you find this information helpful in informing your future iPad purchase.

Can I use lightning accessory through adapter with my iPad Pro (2018)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.