You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cheapest way to Upgrade SSD for A1708 MACBook Pro 2017

Hi to all,

I wanted to ask is there any other way to upgrade my A1708 MacBook's pro SSD,

as the same ssd is not available in Pakistan and those who are providing it are charging more, and wanted to know any other company's SSD which can fit in my MACBook. I want to upgrade it from128 gb to at least 512 GB or 1 TB

Need urgent support.

Thanking you in Advance,

Regards,

Syed Wajahat Imam.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 9:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 11:20 PM

Hi,

As far as I know, storage memory of your MacBook Pro is soldered on logic board, so there is no way to upgrade it unless you selected upgrading SSD at the time of purchase it to 512 GB or 1 TB at additional cost.

6 replies

Feb 26, 2020 7:34 PM in response to WajahatImam

WajahatImam wrote:

Hi to all,

I wanted to ask is there any other way to upgrade my A1708 MacBook's pro SSD,
as the same ssd is not available in Pakistan and those who are providing it are charging more, and wanted to know any other company's SSD which can fit in my MACBook. I want to upgrade it from128 gb to at least 512 GB or 1 TB

Need urgent support.

Thanking you in Advance,

Regards,
Syed Wajahat Imam.

Apple has a trade in program, you use this to put towards a new computer that suit you better.

Apple Trade In - Apple

Feb 26, 2020 7:18 PM in response to WajahatImam

Only the non-touchbar 2016-2017 MBPros have a separate and removable SSD, but it uses yet another unique proprietary SSD connector. I'm not aware of any third party SSDs to replace it. If you are getting an original Apple SSD, then it will be extremely expensive.

It might be cheaper and less dangerous just to buy a new laptop with the correct configuration and then sell this laptop to offset the cost a bit.

None of the Touchbar models have remoable SSDs.

Or use an external USB3 or Thunderbolt drive for extra storage.

Feb 27, 2020 8:37 PM in response to WajahatImam

It is best to install applications to the internal drive's "Applications" folder. You can put your large data files on the external drive to free up storage space on the internal drive. Other more knowledgeable contributors may have other better advice for you.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the SSD. The SSD on the Touchbar model is an integrated part of the Logic Board. The non-Touchbar 2016-2017 MBPro uses a unique proprietary interface. This article details all of Apple's proprietary SSDs and is the best source of technical details:

https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades#hdr-23

Cheapest way to Upgrade SSD for A1708 MACBook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.