You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cisco AnyConnect VPN stopped working today, why?

Nothing has changed on tehe VPN server side our network admins says, but was working fine yesterday morning on the 25.feb 2020, but this morning our Macs fails to connect to our ASA gateway. Was running versions of Cisco AnyConnect <= 4.1.04011, after restarting these clients they now says "No components loaded." and then quits. Newer versions all up to 4.8.02045 still fails to with the error: "The VPN client was unable to successfully verify the IP forwarding table modifications. A VPN connection will not be established.".

So right now we Macs users are in a pickle, internal IT don't wants to/are not able to support Mac users, hence we've been forced not to upgrade to MacOS 10.15 Catalina, but now VPN even fails for MacOS Mojave 10.14 :/

Did something change in MacOS that automatically updated over night?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 2:10 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 28, 2020 6:45 AM in response to stefws

Had this exact same issue — I have AnyConnect v.4.1.08005 on my work laptop, hasn't been updated since 2015. Yesterday all of a sudden I got this "No components loaded" modal as soon as I opened the AC client. Opened a ticket with the company helpdesk but couldn't wait for a response so I did my own investigation. I still don't know why AC suddenly stopped working, but I did find a solution:

1. Installed OpenConnect (open source AnyConnect-compatible CLI VPN client) via Homebrew
  2. Exported the certificate issued by my company CA from my login keychain to a .p12 file in a hidden folder in my user directory
  3. Ran the following command: sudo openconnect -c ~/.hidden/cert.p12 -x /opt/cisco/anyconnect/profile/PROFILE.xml --authgroup=TUNNEL-GROUP vpn.mycompany.com
  4. Entered username when prompted
  5. Entered passcode when prompted
  6. SUCCESS

I have no idea if this is supported by my company and it wasn't easy to configure, but it does work. I had to know where my certificate is (and how to export it from Keychain), where my AnyConnect profile is (I had a few, so I had to know which one to use), and the tunnel group I belong to. Hope this helps!

Feb 26, 2020 2:21 AM in response to stefws

Don't see any overlapping between local IP range from WiFi cnx and VPN IP assigned range, as many others have states as a possible RC for the Unable to verify routing table modifications.

Output from VPN connect attemps of version 4.7.00136:

>> state: Connecting

>> notice: Establishing VPN session...

>> notice: The AnyConnect Downloader is performing update checks...

>> notice: Checking for profile updates...

>> notice: Checking for product updates...

>> notice: Checking for customization updates...

>> notice: Performing any required updates...

>> notice: The AnyConnect Downloader updates have been completed.

>> state: Connecting

>> notice: Establishing VPN session...

>> notice: Establishing VPN - Initiating connection...

>> notice: Establishing VPN - Examining system...

>> notice: Establishing VPN - Activating VPN adapter...

>> notice: Establishing VPN - Configuring system...

>> state: Disconnecting

>> notice: Disconnect in progress, please wait...

>> state: Disconnecting

>> error: The VPN client was unable to successfully verify the IP forwarding table modifications. A VPN connection will not be established.

>> state: Disconnected

>> notice: Ready to connect.

Feb 27, 2020 9:45 AM in response to stefws

We had the same exact issue yesterday with version 4.2.01035. "No components loaded". It was working fine the day before. I ended up packing and deploying 4.8 which works. However, I have a support ticket with Cisco and sent them logs using the Diagnostic Reporting Tool to find out why that happened. What worries me is it could happen again in the future with another version. Will reply back once I get an answer, hopefully.

Cisco AnyConnect VPN stopped working today, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.