You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac apps stop responding despite restarting

I only just recently updated to Catalina, the first two days were fine, I shutdown my computer and when I rebooted, the reboot took quite a while, after rebooting, I tried to open certain apps but they were not responding, even Settings, it would not let me logout, restart, or shutdown, so after force powering down my Mac and restarting twice, it is in general slow, and after finally opening an application (only certain apps work), it runs for a small amount of time before it stops responding for a while, before becoming functional again, repeating this cycle, any fixes? Thanks

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 2:39 PM

Restart in Safe Mode and test (Safe Mode is slow; that is normal).

Restart again normally and test: if the problem persists, please download and run Etrecheck and post its report here.

1 reply

Mac apps stop responding despite restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.