You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More Fonts for Apple Books

Apple Books app is fine, but I was wondering if there was a way to add some more fonts to the iPad etc to allow for some better reading,

I use Open Sans on some websites which is very readable. I was wondering if that font could installed etc.

I have lots of type 1 and open type fonts so whatever the iPad likes I can provide.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Mar 6, 2020 11:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2020 11:30 AM

To install additional fonts on an iPad requires downloading a third party app from the app store. You will be limited to the fonts any given app includes. I know none that will update the available fonts for Books. They appear to be limited to preinstalled system fonts.

8 replies

Mar 6, 2020 11:44 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I looked around I have come to the same conclusion that Apple needs to overhaul the iPad fonts for the Books app if it wants to position the unit to eat ebooks etc.

I have a lot of epub books, they are smaller than PDF and while 256GB is very spacious, I envisioned my iPad to be a digital book with enough room to hold a whole library of books

gutenberg has some 80,000 works which is a drop in the bucket

Mar 6, 2020 12:45 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I realize PDF can have embedded fonts but I was more inclined with EPUB which are smaller.

I got A in university English myself so I feel confident in my literary skills.

I have a wide range of ebooks but it seems to be hard to manage with iTunes on the PC and not that easy to handle on the iPad.

Some ebooks from Apple are in categories, but I do not know how to massage my own ebooks that way etc

Mar 6, 2020 12:49 PM in response to Kurt Lang

All of those I have looked at provide for alternate keyboard and text input. No effect on system fonts (and understandably so). And the developer controls and often sells the fonts as in app purchases.

In addition, many (not necessarily all) are privacy risks in that they transmit data back to the developer. Fine print should be examined closely.

More Fonts for Apple Books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.