You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import my photos from iPhone XR to iMac

I have my iPhone XR connected via USB cable to my iMac and am not using iCloud photo is turned off. I am trying to upload ALL photos from my iPhone to iMac photos and there are some photos and videos which will not import. Please help!

Thanks

iPhone XR

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 5:53 AM

3 replies

Mar 26, 2020 1:12 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi I have read the supporting articles and am still having issues with importing photos/videos from my iPhone to my MacBook Air.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. I am on macOS Catalina v 10.15.4 and iOS 13.4
  2. The photos/videos were taken from my iPhone's built in camera app.
  3. I am using a USB cord connection. When I select the photo, then select the destination folder, then click on Import # Selected,. I am brought to the import folder but the selected photo is not in that folder or in the destination folder.

Please let me know if there is a work around for this.

thanks

Mar 10, 2020 6:45 PM in response to bwpratt

Hello bwpratt,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that not all of the photos and videos on your iPhone XR will import to your iMac. Preserving your memories is important, and you've come to the right place for help.

I'd like to start by ensuring that you're following the steps under the "Import to your Mac" section in the support article below:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

This section in particular provides additional information to be aware of when transferring photos from your iPhone, and troubleshooting steps to try when it's not working as expected:

"In macOS High Sierra or later, imported photos appear in the Photos app's Import album. If you're using an earlier version of macOS, you'll find them in your Last Import album.

Photos and videos that you sync from your computer to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iTunes can't be imported back to your computer. 

Learn what to do if you can't import photos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer."

If you're still experiencing the issue after trying those steps, could you provide further detail? Here are some questions that could be helpful to answer:

1. What macOS and iOS version are you currently running?
  2. How were the photos and videos originally added to the iPhone? Captured using the built-in Camera app on the iPhone, downloaded from another source, or synced from a computer?
  3. Do the photos and videos fail to import with an error? If so, what does it say?

Cheers!

Mar 29, 2020 11:51 AM in response to bwpratt

Hi bwpratt,

Thanks for getting back to us. On the iPhone, I would like to have you go to Settings > Photos. Scroll down to the "Transfer to a Mac or PC" section and ensure that "Keep Originals" is selected. Test if there's any change when you try to transfer photos from the iPhone to Mac again after.

If you're using the Photos app on your Mac when importing the photos, you may also want to consider trying Image Capture instead:

Transfer images in Image Capture on Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on the results.

Take care.

Can't import my photos from iPhone XR to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.