You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Early 2015, blinking folder with question mark, drive in unknown condition.

MBP 13-inch Retina Early 2015 | 2.7 GHz i5 | High Sierra 10.13.6

My MacBook has been freezing randomly lately and then finally today seems to have broken completely. It won’t boot up and is flashing the folder with a question mark. I was able to boot to recovery mode and successfully run First Aid on the drive (which is still visible) but I can’t seem to get it to boot up even though I can see the drive listed. Any suggestions? I figured the drive went but First Aid didn’t seem to notice anything wrong, which is strange to me. Thank you all in advance!

MacBook

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 6:03 PM

While in Recovery Mode you can try reinstalling macOS over top of itself. This shouldn't affect the data on the drive assuming the SSD is functioning properly and the SSD still has the partitions and data intact.

If the above does not work, then you can erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option). You may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Then you can reinstall macOS or restore from a backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 10, 2020 6:03 PM in response to sheafromme

While in Recovery Mode you can try reinstalling macOS over top of itself. This shouldn't affect the data on the drive assuming the SSD is functioning properly and the SSD still has the partitions and data intact.

If the above does not work, then you can erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option). You may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Then you can reinstall macOS or restore from a backup.

MBP Early 2015, blinking folder with question mark, drive in unknown condition.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.