You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Multiple Photos (or Videos) in Photos

How does one open multiple Photos (or Videos) in Photos? I see the "Window" option in the menu bar. so I assume that's for multi-tasking with different elements. I would like to compare photos side-by-side. Videos too. Is there a way to do that? If so, how many at a time? Thanks in advance.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 4:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 5:00 PM

Photos has only one application window and can only display one photo or video enlarged at a time.

I am occasionally opening a photo in Preview as an external editor and keep it open while viewing other photos in Photos. Or I simply open a my Photos Library in PowerPhotos as well, while it is open in Photos. PowerPhotos is a versatile second browser for Photos. There is no good way to see photos or videos side-by-side in Photos alone. To compare them we have to step between photos with the arrow keys.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 10, 2020 5:00 PM in response to MD_Gene

Photos has only one application window and can only display one photo or video enlarged at a time.

I am occasionally opening a photo in Preview as an external editor and keep it open while viewing other photos in Photos. Or I simply open a my Photos Library in PowerPhotos as well, while it is open in Photos. PowerPhotos is a versatile second browser for Photos. There is no good way to see photos or videos side-by-side in Photos alone. To compare them we have to step between photos with the arrow keys.

Mar 10, 2020 5:22 PM in response to MD_Gene

The Window menu is to enable/disable the Info, Keyword Manager, and (sometimes) Project Options windows and managing the display attributes like Zoom. Photos has no provision for displaying multiple photos or videos side by side. Sorry. You can suggest that Apple implement such a feature via Feedback - Photos - Apple .

Some user choose to run a second application like Power Photos to browse the Photos Library in parallel with Apple's Photos application. That will get you two photos or videos at a time.

Open Multiple Photos (or Videos) in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.