You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not able to install Catalina

how to get out of the installer infinite loop

Keep getting "A disk with a mount point is required (-69854), only choice is to restart which gets me to the same spot again over and over

iMac 27", OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 12:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 6:43 AM

per275 wrote:

Keep getting "A disk with a mount point is required (-69854), only choice is to restart which gets me to the same spot again over and over

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

This sounds like a corrupt download or you do not have a machine that supports the latest macOS.

You can delete it, empty the trash and download a new Catalina macOS.

Verify your Tech specs that you have the hardware capable of support the Catalina—

macOS Catalina - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US

System requirements macOS 10.15 Catalina

macOS Catalina will run on all Macintosh computers that supported Mojave:

MacBook: Early 2015 or newer

MacBook Air: Mid 2012 or newer

MacBook Pro: Mid 2012 or newer

Mac Mini: Late 2012 or newer

iMac: Late 2012 or newer

iMac Pro

Mac Pro: Late 2013 or newer; Mid 2010 or Mid 2012 if upgraded with a recommended Metal-capable GPU

Download: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?mt=12&l=en-us

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2020 6:43 AM in response to per275

per275 wrote:

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

This sounds like a corrupt download or you do not have a machine that supports the latest macOS.

You can delete it, empty the trash and download a new Catalina macOS.

Verify your Tech specs that you have the hardware capable of support the Catalina—

macOS Catalina - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US

System requirements macOS 10.15 Catalina

macOS Catalina will run on all Macintosh computers that supported Mojave:

MacBook: Early 2015 or newer

MacBook Air: Mid 2012 or newer

MacBook Pro: Mid 2012 or newer

Mac Mini: Late 2012 or newer

iMac: Late 2012 or newer

iMac Pro

Mac Pro: Late 2013 or newer; Mid 2010 or Mid 2012 if upgraded with a recommended Metal-capable GPU

Download: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?mt=12&l=en-us

Apr 2, 2020 4:28 PM in response to leroydouglas

I am having the same exact problem after trying to install Catalina on a late 2012 iMac 27" retina display. I see "mac OS could not be installed on your computer, A disk with a mount point is required: (-69854). The only option is to restart the computer and try again but it comes to the same spot over and over. I did find a way to get into the disk utility to verify the HD and it doesn't find any issues to repair. I have also tried to go to the Startup Disk, but when I get to the window asking to "select the system you want to use to start up your computer," there is nothing there. I feel like the only option I have is to completely wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS from the web, but I'm hoping to avoid that because I would like to find a way to recover the information on my hard drive. Any thoughts?

not able to install Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.