You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Upgrade and Performance of 2013 iMac

My wife has a late 2013, 21.5 inch iMac (2.7 GHz Intel Core i5). Is it possible to upgrade the memory in this particular mode? Other World Computring offers memory upgrades for this iMac but I read somewhere else that it is not possible.

Also, I have did a couple of clean installs on my wife's iMac to address performance issues. After about a months use, the computer will either stall for 1 to 5 minutes at a time regardless of what program is open (Safari, iPhoto, MS Word) or slow down a lot. Rebooting takes way too long to complete. Are they any negative reports regarding this iMac model?

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 9:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 9:05 AM

As den.thed says, Apple will service but not increase the RAM in any 21.5-inch iMac. Per their stated policy,

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

please find the "fine print" near the top:

Not every Apple Authorized Service Provider will do this tedious work. A local shop that does said to figure ~US$150 labor on top of the cost of RAM and the kit that reseals the case.

As others have suggested, the stalls and slow booting are more symptomatic of a slow hard drive (common) or a failing hard drive (less common) than insuffient RAM. To keep us from further guessing, please post a snapshot of your system config. That will give hard numbers on RAM and drive performance in addition to identifying any software interferences. The method most of the senior ASC contributors recommend is safe and will not give away any personal information stored on your computer. Please downlaod EtreCheck, available free from the Mac App Store here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

When its report displays, use the program's "Share" icon to copy the report, then use the "Additional Text" tool in the forum's toolbar:

to place the report in a format we can review. That way we have real data about what your computer is or isn't doing.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Carlton Chin

As den.thed says, Apple will service but not increase the RAM in any 21.5-inch iMac. Per their stated policy,

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

please find the "fine print" near the top:

Not every Apple Authorized Service Provider will do this tedious work. A local shop that does said to figure ~US$150 labor on top of the cost of RAM and the kit that reseals the case.

As others have suggested, the stalls and slow booting are more symptomatic of a slow hard drive (common) or a failing hard drive (less common) than insuffient RAM. To keep us from further guessing, please post a snapshot of your system config. That will give hard numbers on RAM and drive performance in addition to identifying any software interferences. The method most of the senior ASC contributors recommend is safe and will not give away any personal information stored on your computer. Please downlaod EtreCheck, available free from the Mac App Store here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

When its report displays, use the program's "Share" icon to copy the report, then use the "Additional Text" tool in the forum's toolbar:

to place the report in a format we can review. That way we have real data about what your computer is or isn't doing.

Mar 13, 2020 9:41 PM in response to Carlton Chin

iMac 21.5” upgrades are a hassle. Apple or an Apple authorized service provider can disassemble and upgrade this (to a maximum of 16 GB, using two 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMMs. You’ll also want to replace any HDD or Fusion drive with a bigger SSD while you’re in there.

As for your symptoms, a failing hard disk would fit those symptoms, though there can be other causes including overheating and other hardware failures, as well as add-on apps including add-on anti-malware, add-on anti-virus, add-on cleaners, add-on VPN clients, and related.

Mar 15, 2020 6:53 AM in response to Carlton Chin

I have seen videos on U-tube showing how to upgrade the memory, but it looks very involved and you have to dig pretty deep into the computer. The most daunting task appears to be removing the screen from the chassis.

Question: Do you hear a click or tick sound randomly during the operation of your mac? I am having this issue and cannot find any answers for it.

Mar 15, 2020 7:29 AM in response to Sageman19

Sageman19 wrote:

I have seen videos on U-tube showing how to upgrade the memory, but it looks very involved and you have to dig pretty deep into the computer. The most daunting task appears to be removing the screen from the chassis.

That would be “a hassle”, yes.

Question: Do you hear a click or tick sound randomly during the operation of your mac? I am having this issue and cannot find any answers for it.

This seems a different question.

Please start your own question and your own thread for this.

Mixed threads tend to get very confusing, and you won’t be able to close out this thread.

Also see if the ricking noise is particular to the applications that are running.

Please include EtreCheck data in that new posting, too.

Mar 15, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Carlton Chin

I recently also had a late 2013, 21.5 inch iMac (2.7 GHz Intel Core i5) like you have. (I traded it in.) I checked the Apple site's information on doing the upgrades and it clearly indicated this was not worth attempting. I do not recommend it. The way I was able to keep my iMac running well was to not install any junk software and to regularly clean my browser history, which can eventually fill up the available RAM. Maybe this will help.

Memory Upgrade and Performance of 2013 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.