You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini running slow Etre check says hard drive is failing

My Mac mini is running slow, it takes about 2-3 minutes for any apps to open I've ran an Etrecheck & it means nothing to me but it says the hard drive is failing? Can anyone put this in simple terms please? Is it fixable??? Thank you

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 1:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 3:40 PM

You’re welcome!

Sadly it is going to feel slow with that Hard Drive and only 4GB of RAM.

One option, is to stream-line and run less App’s at the same time.

An other option, is to replace that system with one the has an SSD and more RAM.

9 replies

Mar 14, 2020 3:08 PM in response to shidkid

You're welcome!

CleanMyMac installs other files and so you can not simply move the CleanMyMac Application Icon to the Trash like other App's.

You need to either use the CleanMyMac uninstaller or if you have already trashed the CleanMyMac Application Icon, then you need to manually root-out all of the hidden files that are related to CleanMyMac in the following locations.

• ~/Library/Preferences/
  • ~/Library/Application Support/
  • ~/Library/Caches/
  • ~/Library/Logs/
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  • ~/Library/Cookies

Mar 14, 2020 4:23 PM in response to shidkid

There are clearly some leftover remnants or it would not still be running in your User Launch Items.

User Launch Agents:

[Loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2020-03-12)

[Loaded] com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2020-03-12)

[Running] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac4.Updater.plist (S8EX82NJP6 - installed 2020-01-16)

For starters, go to: Apple > System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and remove CleanMyMac from that list. Also keep in mind that there are both User and System Libraries where CleanMyMac can be hiding.

Mac Mini running slow Etre check says hard drive is failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.