You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd Hand 2010 Macbook setup not working?

Hello everyone.

I recently got a 2010 Macbook Unibody. When i try cmd + r for recovery and try to install Mac OS Lion, it asks for the original Apple ID used when the computer was first bought. If I use any other account it says "try again later".

I have no way of getting the original Apple ID.

I tried using a bootable USB stick with High Sierra, both as .dmg and .iso and neither is able to be read in Power + alt bootup. (It shows up the USB in recovery mode though.)

How can I fix this?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 2:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 12:55 PM

If macOS 10.12.4+ has been installed on this laptop at some point in its life, then forcing the laptop to Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R should boot to the High Sierra online installer.

Apple doesn't distribute macOS 10.13 High Sierra in .dmg or .iso format. You will need another Mac to download and create a bootable High Sierra USB installer using these instructions which also includes official links to download the installers:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 15, 2020 12:55 PM in response to autumnmnm

If macOS 10.12.4+ has been installed on this laptop at some point in its life, then forcing the laptop to Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R should boot to the High Sierra online installer.

Apple doesn't distribute macOS 10.13 High Sierra in .dmg or .iso format. You will need another Mac to download and create a bootable High Sierra USB installer using these instructions which also includes official links to download the installers:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

2nd Hand 2010 Macbook setup not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.