You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with file duration in iMovie

Hi, I'm trying to edit a home movie clip so I can share it online with family. The clip was originally a vob file from dvd. I've managed to convert it to m4v using VLC and then import into iMovie. However, although the clip duration is nearly 16.5 minutes, when it is imported into iMovie, it is only 30.1 seconds and just features the title sequence! Any ideas how to resolve this?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 9:05 AM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2020 12:26 AM in response to MIJ17

Hi Rich

These are the files on the DVD:

I copied the VTS_01_1.VOB file. Not sure if this is relevant, but I’m unable to play the DVD in my Macbook. It only plays on my TV DVD player and I couldn’t copy the file on my Macbook. So a friend had to make a copy of it on his Windows machine  with some software. When I played the copied file on my Macbook in VLC, the timecode kept changing throughout playback, sometimes stopping on one number, even though the video carried on, and sometimes the timecode went back to the beginning, even near the end of the video! 

When I converted the file to m4v in VLC, the timecode progressed normally when playing in VLC and the whole 16.5 minute video played. So not sure why only 30 seconds worth is in iMovie!

Mar 17, 2020 1:16 PM in response to MIJ17

There are two VOB files shown on your screen shot. Copy-drag (not move) both of them onto your desktop. Convert the VOB files to Mp4/AAC using the free download, Handbrake. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

After you have converted the VOB files drag the converted files into iMovie. Now see if you are getting the entire 16.5 minues. Also, make sure that you have sufficient free space on your drive to receive the movies. Movies imported into iMovie will be stored as full size copies, thus doubling the storage space used on your drive.

To rule out a corrupt preference, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. {EDITED}

Another thing to try is to create a new project and import your movie into the new project to see if it plays all the way through. Sometimes issues are confined to only one project and will not appear in another project.

-- Rich

-- Rich

Issue with file duration in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.