You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os update downgrade

i have been given an old iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) but it has been fully wiped so there is no os on it where do i get the mac os sierra installer from (i do have a macbook air 2019 with catalina on it as-well if that helps.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 5:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 6:09 PM

the latest version your Mac can upgrade to is high Sierra, get the installer from Apple here : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

then plug in your USB into your other mac where you downloaded high Sierra, then format the USB as macOS Extended (Journaled). Then open terminal in applications>utilities and type (assuming your installer is in the applications folder:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Replace my volume with your volume name

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2020 6:09 PM in response to lucian163

the latest version your Mac can upgrade to is high Sierra, get the installer from Apple here : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

then plug in your USB into your other mac where you downloaded high Sierra, then format the USB as macOS Extended (Journaled). Then open terminal in applications>utilities and type (assuming your installer is in the applications folder:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Replace my volume with your volume name

mac os update downgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.