You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to external screen - hdmi to display

I am trying to connect my MacBook Pro 2018 to an external screen, HP EliteDisplay E231 with a HDMI-DisplayPort cable, but I only get a "No signal" sign on the screen.

I've tried changing settings etc. but nothing seems to work. Who can help me?

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 1:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 1:44 PM

According to HP, that monitor supports VGA, DVI and DisplayPort.

Chances are your HDMI-to-DisplayPort cable is not doing what you want.

I would look at another Thunderbolt-3 dock that either supports VGA, DVI and/or DisplayPort directly and not play with cables that are going to try switching in the wire.

If your existing Thunderbolt 3 dock has a Thunderbolt 3 out (not a pass-thru power, and not the port that connects to the Mac, but a TB3 port that will drive additional Thunderbolt 3 devices, then you could look at getting a dedicated Thunderbolt 3 adapter just for the monitor.

For example, I have a CalDigit TS3 dock with a DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 3 ports. I have a DisplayPort cable going to a 32" 4K DELL monitor, and I have the TB3 port going into a TrippLite Thunderbolt 3 to DVI/USB3/Gigabit adapter that is driving a Samsung 1080p monitor via DVI. The CalDigit has all the ports I really want, but I needed something for the Samsung monitor, and I had the TrippLite adapter available. I just ignore the USB3 and Gigabit ports on it.

My point is that use the right Thunderbolt 3 dock for the job.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2020 1:44 PM in response to claes1koen

According to HP, that monitor supports VGA, DVI and DisplayPort.

Chances are your HDMI-to-DisplayPort cable is not doing what you want.

I would look at another Thunderbolt-3 dock that either supports VGA, DVI and/or DisplayPort directly and not play with cables that are going to try switching in the wire.

If your existing Thunderbolt 3 dock has a Thunderbolt 3 out (not a pass-thru power, and not the port that connects to the Mac, but a TB3 port that will drive additional Thunderbolt 3 devices, then you could look at getting a dedicated Thunderbolt 3 adapter just for the monitor.

For example, I have a CalDigit TS3 dock with a DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 3 ports. I have a DisplayPort cable going to a 32" 4K DELL monitor, and I have the TB3 port going into a TrippLite Thunderbolt 3 to DVI/USB3/Gigabit adapter that is driving a Samsung 1080p monitor via DVI. The CalDigit has all the ports I really want, but I needed something for the Samsung monitor, and I had the TrippLite adapter available. I just ignore the USB3 and Gigabit ports on it.

My point is that use the right Thunderbolt 3 dock for the job.

Cannot connect to external screen - hdmi to display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.