You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Control–Command–Space bar?

Hi There,

How do we change the shortcut for Control–Command–Space bar or turn it off?

If we go to System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts the shortcut isn't listed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 18, 2020 11:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2020 2:38 PM

Vendors are supposed to check for hard wired keyboard commands in the OS so they don't assign the same keystroke in their apps. But I think this one is kind of recent, so may have not been a problem before.

But anywho, this is actually very simple. It goes right back to the System Preferences as I noted above. The command for the Emoji placement is right there in the Finder menu:

All you need to do is assign it a different keystroke. Open the System Preference and open the Keyboard panel. Click on the Shortcuts tab, and then App Shortcuts. Click the + button to create a new entry.

Make sure to type in the name exactly the same as the OS has it. Then type in any keystroke you want to change it to. Here, I used a keystroke I would very likely never use, need or ever even accidentally hit.

Click the Add button.

That's it. The emoji character palette will no longer appear when you press Command+Ctrl+Space, and your 3D app should do what's normally assigned to that keystroke.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 18, 2020 2:38 PM in response to cmscss

Vendors are supposed to check for hard wired keyboard commands in the OS so they don't assign the same keystroke in their apps. But I think this one is kind of recent, so may have not been a problem before.

But anywho, this is actually very simple. It goes right back to the System Preferences as I noted above. The command for the Emoji placement is right there in the Finder menu:

All you need to do is assign it a different keystroke. Open the System Preference and open the Keyboard panel. Click on the Shortcuts tab, and then App Shortcuts. Click the + button to create a new entry.

Make sure to type in the name exactly the same as the OS has it. Then type in any keystroke you want to change it to. Here, I used a keystroke I would very likely never use, need or ever even accidentally hit.

Click the Add button.

That's it. The emoji character palette will no longer appear when you press Command+Ctrl+Space, and your 3D app should do what's normally assigned to that keystroke.

Mar 18, 2020 1:05 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hmm, hard to say for sure since the OP doesn't even mention emojis. However, I do see I incorrectly referred to Command+Option+Space rather than Command+Ctrl+Space.

But, you can override it in the System Preferences. Here I added it to take over the system's Command+V for Paste.

That's also how it now shows up in the OS and app menus.

To undo it, just delete the entry you made.

How to change Control–Command–Space bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.