You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Multiple Sheets in Numbers

Is it possible to edit the same cell on multiple sheets rather than having to alter them sheet by sheet?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 1:48 AM

14 replies

Mar 21, 2020 8:15 AM in response to PaulSG

It isn't entirely clear from your screenshot, but it appears that you have a month abbreviation in the name of the first table in each sheet, not in a cell.

If so, you can use a simple script like the one below to update the month abbreviation on all your sheets with one click or a menu choice.

To install:

1. Copy-paste script below into Script Editor (in Applications > Utilities).
  2. Make sure Script Editor and Numbers are listed and checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility

To run:

1. With your Numbers document open, click the <run> button in Script Editor.
  2. Or, since you will be using this each month, you can make it a menu choice by installing it in the Script Menu.

Installation is quick. You don't need to know AppleScript to use this. It simply becomes an additional item in the menu.

If, instead, you do have the month abbreviation in the same cell in tables on different sheets that can also be scripted easily. Just post if that is the case.

SG

set newMonth to choose from list {"Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"}

set newMonth to newMonth as text

tell front document of application "Numbers"
	repeat with s in sheets
		tell s
			set oldName to name of table 1
			set newName to my findRepl(last word of oldName, newMonth, oldName)
			set name of table 1 to newName
		end tell
	end repeat
end tell

to findRepl(s, r, t)
	set text item delimiters to s
	set newVal to text items of t
	set text item delimiters to r
	return newVal as string
end findRepl

Mar 23, 2020 11:05 AM in response to PaulSG

Hi Paul,

SG's instruction:

To install:

1. Copy-paste script below into Script Editor (in Applications > Utilities).

In more detail:

• Go to your Applications folder
  • Locate and open Utilities folder
  • Locate Script Editor.app and double click its icon.

You should see this set of menus and an empty edit space at top left of your screen:

• Return to this page and Copy SG's script.
  • Return to Script Editor, click in the Untitled window and Paste.

Carry on…

Regards,

Barry

Mar 20, 2020 6:11 PM in response to PaulSG

When you say "Title date", are you referring to the Sheet name (which appears in the tabs across the top of the document Window, or are you referring to the Table name(s) of one or more Tables on each Sheet?

The Spreadsheet in the image below has four Sheets, each of which still has the default name assigned by Numbers when the Sheet was created. Sheet 1 came with the Document when it was created, Sheet 1-1 is the result of duplicating Sheet 1. Sheet 2 was created by clicking the + symbol at the left end of the Tabs list, and Sheet 2-1 (tab only partly visible) is a duplicate of Sheet 2.

Each of the Sheets may be renamed by double clicking its current name in its tab, then entering the new name, as done below for Sheet 2,

The table on the left on this sheet still has its default name, "Table 1"

The one on the left, which was named Table 2 when those four columns were selected, then separated from the original Table 1, has since been renamed "addresses" in much the same manne as the Sheet name was changed above.

IF the Table name is not displayed, select any cell on the table, click the format brush to open the Format Inspector, and choose Table. Then click to check the Show Table Name checkbox (beside row 7 of the table in the image below).

Edit the table name in the same manner as done for the Sheet name—double click the name to select it, Type to replace it with the new name, click elsewhere to deselect the edited name.

"I want to change the heading on each sheet (by updating the title date each month)

Does this imply that you are entering data on 12 separate tables, each on it's own Sheet over the course of a year?

Assuming you'd then want to extract some data for the purpose of generating one or more summary reports, the course you've chosen will bring some grief.

The simpler method is to use a single table to collect whatever data you are collecting, then use Summary tables, usually on one or more separate Sheets to extract the relevant data from the Data table to provide monthly summaries. See the Personal Budget template for an example. Transactions, a table on the Sheet of the same name, is used to record every transaction through the year. The Summary by Categories table, on the second Sheet summarizes and charts the year's spending by category. Much easier than picking the needed data off 12 separate tables.

With slight changes to the formulas, duplicate of that table could summarize the monthly spending in each category.

"but I believe, as in the first response, it isn’t possible on Numbers as it is in Excel. Annoying😩"

Numbers is not a clone of Excel, and it's quite apparent that the design goals of the two applications were (and are) not the same. If you need the features of Excel that are not available in Numbers, follow the advice to use the tool that does the job. Excel for Mac is available as part of two versions of MS Office—the subscription service Office365, and as a single user single purchase MSOfficeMac.

And, if you have a feature in mind that you think should be included in Numbers, let Apple know about it. Not here, where Apple attention and participation is minimal, but via a Feature Enhancement request using the Provide Numbers Feedback menu item in the Numbers menu.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 23, 2020 4:10 AM in response to SGIII

"2. Make sure Script Editor and Numbers are listed and checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility" = DONE

"1. Copy-paste script below into Script Editor (in Applications > Utilities)."

...But as soon as I hit return to go the next line down in order to paste the script I get:

Is there something else I should be doing?

Mar 20, 2020 1:40 PM in response to PaulSG

YES! You can easily use VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP to do this.

Create your table in the second and subsequent sheets. The key is to have a consistent key that is easily found through all tables. It isn’t necessary that they reside in the same relative position. It doesn’t matter. I have an example if you’ll provide your email address. For some reason, I can’t attach my sample.

in sheet 1, table 1, I can alter A3 at will and the resulting value appears in sheet 2, table 1. Let me know if you continue to have difficulties.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2020 3:24 PM in response to PaulSG

What Paul says will work if you want to have the same value in a specific cell in all (or many) tables.

But you don't need one of the lookup functions to do that.

If you want the value in, say Sheet 2::Table 1::C5, Sheet 3::Table 1::C6, Sheet 4::Table 2::B5, etc to always be the same as the value in Sheet 1::Table 1::B6, you can accomplish that by placing the formula below in each indicated cell:

Where to put           The formula to

the formula                 put there

Sheet 2::Table 1::C5: =Sheet 1::Table 1::B6

Sheet 3::Table 1::C6: =Sheet 1::Table 1::B6

Sheet 4::Table 2::B5: =Sheet 1::Table 1::B6

The = sign is typed to open the Formula Editor. Do not include it in what you type or paste into the Editor.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 23, 2020 11:50 AM in response to Barry

BRILLIANT - I got there in the end. And it works a treat - Many thanks all round.

Of note though - at step 3 above when I clicked on the Script Editor app all I got initially was another page of Applications and clicking on the Script Editor on THAT page produced anything but a blank window. Eventually I was presented with an option to "+" which produced a blank SE page. Not quite sure how that came about but it all works and I'm really grateful - if it is so simple why can't Apple incorporate it as many have posed the same question.

Editing Multiple Sheets in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.