You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio output switches randomly

How come my MacBook Pro sometimes switches to a different audio output? For example, if another monitor is connected, sometimes it switches from the built-in speaker to the 2nd monitor's built in speakers. It's not just one either, it does this with wired headphones, bluetooth headphones, etc.

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 11:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 5:21 PM

I received the same guidance from Apple support over the phone. However, this only works for a short period of time. The issue will resurface within the same day or next day. Sound output is cutting off in the middle of video/tele conferences while working from home. This is a major show stopper and I have had to resort to calling into conferences from my phone to avoid cut-off.

Observations: Apple Music will glitch the audio every couple of minutes but the speakers will recover and start playing music again with no intervention. However, during Zoom/WebEx/Google Meet meetings, the speaker audio will cut-out and won't return. I have to hang-up and call back. Big productivity killer.

Apple, please address this bug.

My setup: 2019 Macbook Air, Catalina 10.15.4, Apple USB-C to HDMI dongle connected to HDMI monitor (no speakers). Attempting to use Macbook built-in speakers for all audio.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2020 5:21 PM in response to dominic23

I received the same guidance from Apple support over the phone. However, this only works for a short period of time. The issue will resurface within the same day or next day. Sound output is cutting off in the middle of video/tele conferences while working from home. This is a major show stopper and I have had to resort to calling into conferences from my phone to avoid cut-off.

Observations: Apple Music will glitch the audio every couple of minutes but the speakers will recover and start playing music again with no intervention. However, during Zoom/WebEx/Google Meet meetings, the speaker audio will cut-out and won't return. I have to hang-up and call back. Big productivity killer.

Apple, please address this bug.

My setup: 2019 Macbook Air, Catalina 10.15.4, Apple USB-C to HDMI dongle connected to HDMI monitor (no speakers). Attempting to use Macbook built-in speakers for all audio.

Audio output switches randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.