You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer of messages in Mail

When I move messages from Inbox to a mailbox, Mail transfers only a copy. This is happening only for mailboxes set up today. Why?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 8:44 AM

I did not try deleting and re-installing mail accounts. I did try other emails to new mailboxes, mailboxes in accounts same as and different from the account that Apple sends messages to (lbs).

I think I have determined that there is something flawed in the particular email message (and all others coming from the Apple community). I checked and another received about 3 weeks ago suggests in the Move To box at the top to move it to "Recovered Messages" mailbox. I had never seen this on other messages. So unless I post a further development, I think that I have wasted enough of your time on this. Case closed.

You have been very kind, generous with your time, and patient to hold my hand on this. I think it is time to help someone else who is more needy.

Thanks for the support and stay healthy.

Bill

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2020 8:44 AM in response to billfromsc

I did not try deleting and re-installing mail accounts. I did try other emails to new mailboxes, mailboxes in accounts same as and different from the account that Apple sends messages to (lbs).

I think I have determined that there is something flawed in the particular email message (and all others coming from the Apple community). I checked and another received about 3 weeks ago suggests in the Move To box at the top to move it to "Recovered Messages" mailbox. I had never seen this on other messages. So unless I post a further development, I think that I have wasted enough of your time on this. Case closed.

You have been very kind, generous with your time, and patient to hold my hand on this. I think it is time to help someone else who is more needy.

Thanks for the support and stay healthy.

Bill

Mar 24, 2020 10:52 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the comeback. Sorry I did not get back to you earlier but I have been busy with virus-related tasks (we are healthy).

I move emails as mail instructs:

• either by dragging the message from the Inbox to the designated mailbox OR
  • (with the message open) by clicking the destination button on the header next to the Search OR
  • by right clicking on the message in the Inbox and selecting the move on the dropdown menu.

This just started in the last couple of days (I did have my MacBook Pro hard drive deep cleaned by Apple a couple of weeks ago.)

When I do a move, the message visually leaves the Inbox then returns about a second later. A copy is put in the target mailbox.

There must be a mailbox or move parameter choice that I cannot find.

Very aggrevating.

Thanks for any help.

Mar 25, 2020 10:40 AM in response to BDAqua

Didn't know about this. I moved the target box (that was in the WTK1 account) to the lbs account (which Apple stuff uses), and that solved the problem! Congratulations and thanks. 5 gold stars!

Mail unifies Inboxes, Trashes etc. for these 3 accounts that I use. I did not know that if I crossed accounts like this with regular mailboxes, that it would do what it did. This never happened before.

I just noticed that lbs is in IMAP format and the others are POP. They all are in bellsouth.net accounts -- why are they not all set up in one format or the other? Should I delete and then add lbs in the POP format? Would this change allow me to keep all of the target mailboxes in one (WTK1) account?

Transfer of messages in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.