You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music keeps splitting album... repeatedly

new MacBook Pro 16"/catalina

Music app keeps splitting certain albums, even after redoing and manually entering ALL the metatags, and reimporting the files... When I get it set correctly and it appears as one album, the next time I open the app inevitably it's split again, usually not the same way either, sometimes by artist, sometimes by album etc.. I've been fooling around with it for a week, with 10-12 attempts, it's still randomly splitting a select few albums.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 6:50 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 26, 2020 8:08 AM in response to Lodef

Hi Lodef,

Since this is only happening with albums that have been ripped, let's see if managing some of those album settings will help.

Select one of the albums that you've put back together, and then check the information about that album (click the 3 dots in the upper right area of the song listing).

If compilations is checked, uncheck that and then quit Apple Music. See if the album stays together after these steps..

This explains more about changing information: Change song and CD information in Music on Mac

Have a great day!

Mar 25, 2020 8:46 AM in response to Lodef

Hi Lodef,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you have some albums that are split in the Music app. You are able to put them back together by importing them again and editing the metatags, but they split again when you quit the Music app and re-open it.

Let's get some more information to help isolate this.

• If you put the album together and play it, and then quit Music, does the album stay intact when you launch Music again?
  • Are these albums that you have purchased using iTunes, or are they ones ripped from CDs, or both?
  • Can you identify if anything is unique or that these albums have in common that could be related to this issue.

Take Care.

Mar 25, 2020 8:59 AM in response to Joseph_S.

The albums only split after Music has been quit and reopened.... sometimes. It happens both when tracks from the album have been played and not... and not every time the app is reopened.

These are all albums that were ripped from my CDs, into iTunes several years ago, some that I had removed from my library but recently added back in ( for the first time since iTunes was retired ) from a back-up drive.

Apple Music keeps splitting album... repeatedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.