You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not delete a mailbox in Apple Mail, why?

The mailbox is empty. I do not use it anymore. I right-click on it and select delete. The mailbox remains. I have quit mail and restarted it. The mailbox is still there!

Thanks

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 2:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 6:35 PM

Have you tried it in Safe Mode?

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

How about Mail>Preferences, highlight that account>Mailbox Information>uncheck Enable this account?

7 replies

Mar 24, 2020 6:10 PM in response to BDAqua

OK, that helps a bit, are you trying to delete the whole Box at once?

BDAqua wrote:

>> OK, that helps a bit, are you trying to delete the whole Box at once?
Yes.

>> Are you able to delete single items in it?
Yes, I deleted or moved all emails to current mailboxes. The mailbox I want to delete is completely empty.

Mar 24, 2020 6:51 PM in response to BDAqua

>> How about Mail>Preferences, highlight that account>Mailbox Information>uncheck Enable this account? <<

YOU did it! The moment I disabled the account the unwanted mailbox went bye-bye. The next time I see Tim, I'll try and get you raised to a Level 11.

BDAqua, is not just a whiz with the Apple Mac, you are an asset to all humanity. Thanks!!

Mar 24, 2020 6:58 PM in response to Ziatron

Garsh, thank you, you've got me blushing, & let me say great news before you find out it's not gone, just not showing.

How about Mail>Preferences, highlight that account>Mailbox Information>check Enable this account?

Whamo It's Back, but now you know how to make it disappear, & you could do that several times aday & award me another greenie each time... Tim would surely listen to you then! LOL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.