You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a cable to connect my iPhone 11Pro to my mid-2014 MacBook Pro?

I would like to be able to transfer videos I capture using my iPhone 11Pro to my mid-2014 MacBook Pro using Image Capture. However, the instructions say - 'connect your phone to your MacBook Pro and open Image Capture'.

I have searched everywhere to see if there exists a Lightning to USB-3 cable or a Lightning to Thunderbolt cable but they don't seem to exist. I have an old adaptor which is a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor but that, obviously, won't work.

Is there no way that I can physically connect my iPhone 11Pro to my mid-2014 MacBook Pro? I realise that it's a 6 year old MBP but it works very well - apart from this issue. For those who don't know what the ports on the mid-2014 MBP are, here's a list -

• MagSafe 2 power port
  • Two Thunderbolt 2 ports (up to 20 Gbps)
  • Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
  • HDMI port
  • Headphone port
  • SDXC card slot
  • Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately)
  • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)

I would be grateful for any suggestions that might solve my problem.

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 3:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 5:09 AM

Patricia Henwood wrote:

• I would like to be able to transfer videos I capture using my iPhone 11Pro to my mid-2014 MacBook Pro using Image Capture. However, the instructions say - 'connect your phone to your MacBook Pro and open Image Capture'.

I have searched everywhere to see if there exists a Lightning to USB-3 cable or a Lightning to Thunderbolt cable but they don't seem to exist. I have an old adaptor which is a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor but that, obviously, won't work.

Is there no way that I can physically connect my iPhone 11Pro to my mid-2014 MacBook Pro? I realise that it's a 6 year old MBP but it works very well - apart from this issue. For those who don't know what the ports on the mid-2014 MBP are, here's a list -

MagSafe 2 power port
• HDMI port
• Headphone port
• SDXC card slot

Didn't the iPhone come with a cable— lightening connector to USB (?)

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201736

Apple - Lightning to USB Cable

If your iPhone shipped with a lightening to USBC then you need a dongle/adapter to get back to your 2014 MBP USB port: Apple - USB-C to USB Adapter

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2020 5:09 AM in response to Patricia Henwood

Patricia Henwood wrote:

• I would like to be able to transfer videos I capture using my iPhone 11Pro to my mid-2014 MacBook Pro using Image Capture. However, the instructions say - 'connect your phone to your MacBook Pro and open Image Capture'.

MagSafe 2 power port
• HDMI port
• Headphone port
• SDXC card slot

Didn't the iPhone come with a cable— lightening connector to USB (?)

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201736

Apple - Lightning to USB Cable

If your iPhone shipped with a lightening to USBC then you need a dongle/adapter to get back to your 2014 MBP USB port: Apple - USB-C to USB Adapter

Is there a cable to connect my iPhone 11Pro to my mid-2014 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.