You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating to Catalina all of my previous TM backups are not available? Any way to find them?

If I enter Time Machine the only backups available are from the last few days even though the previous backups are there and my Time Capsule still has the data taking up space. Is there any way to find these previous backups? When I go into System Preferences for Time Machine it shows the oldest backup is March 20, 2017 so shouldn't it and the others be accessible?

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 5:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 7:36 PM

I decided to get a new hard drive for Time Machine backups since Time Capsule had run low on space and is no longer a reliable option to use. I stopped the auto backup in System Preferences for Time Machine and connected the new external drive (and formatted it) I selected it as the new backup drive in Time Machine preferences but did not let it finish the backup. That's when my Time Capsule showed up with the data and files going all the way back to 2017 on my desktop. I used SuperDuper to copy the files from my Time Capsule to the new hard drive (which took a week for over 1.5 tb) and all the files are there and available on my hard drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2020 7:36 PM in response to aLilyWithThorns

I decided to get a new hard drive for Time Machine backups since Time Capsule had run low on space and is no longer a reliable option to use. I stopped the auto backup in System Preferences for Time Machine and connected the new external drive (and formatted it) I selected it as the new backup drive in Time Machine preferences but did not let it finish the backup. That's when my Time Capsule showed up with the data and files going all the way back to 2017 on my desktop. I used SuperDuper to copy the files from my Time Capsule to the new hard drive (which took a week for over 1.5 tb) and all the files are there and available on my hard drive.

Since updating to Catalina all of my previous TM backups are not available? Any way to find them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.