You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a "Photos" library created with Photos 4.0 with the Photos app 3.0

I have a large Photos library created on my Mac Book Pro under Mojave. Can I transfer this library to my Imac (Late 2009) running High Sierra.

When I try to open the library with High Sierra it tells me I need to upgrade "Photos 3.0" to a newer version (4.0) but I can not find a way to do this.

Help

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 9:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 10:36 PM

No, it is not possible to open a Photos 4.0 library directly in Photos 3.0, because the upgrade to Photos 4.0 changed the format of the library. A newer version of Photos can open and upgrade a library, but an older version can no longer open a library, once it has been upgraded to a newer format. Photos is a part of the system, so you need to upgrade the system to upgrade to a new version of Photos.

If you want to keep the Photos Libraries in sync across macs with different system versions the easiest way is iCloud Photos. Enable iCloud Photos Library on both the Mojave Mac and on the High Sierra Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/phtf5e48489c/4.0/mac/10.14). Then wait for the iCloud Libraries from both macs to upload to iCloud and merge in iCloud. The merged library will download back to both Macs. You need to subscribe to enough Cloud storage to hold the merged library. See: Downgrading a Photos Library to a Previous Version of Photos with the Help of iCloud Photos

If you only want to download the library to the Photos 3 Mac, create a new, empty library for syncing on that mac. (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/pht6d60b524/4.0/mac/10.14)

And make a backup copy of the Photos Libraries, before trying to sync them with iCloud.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2020 10:36 PM in response to malcolm82

No, it is not possible to open a Photos 4.0 library directly in Photos 3.0, because the upgrade to Photos 4.0 changed the format of the library. A newer version of Photos can open and upgrade a library, but an older version can no longer open a library, once it has been upgraded to a newer format. Photos is a part of the system, so you need to upgrade the system to upgrade to a new version of Photos.

If you want to keep the Photos Libraries in sync across macs with different system versions the easiest way is iCloud Photos. Enable iCloud Photos Library on both the Mojave Mac and on the High Sierra Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/phtf5e48489c/4.0/mac/10.14). Then wait for the iCloud Libraries from both macs to upload to iCloud and merge in iCloud. The merged library will download back to both Macs. You need to subscribe to enough Cloud storage to hold the merged library. See: Downgrading a Photos Library to a Previous Version of Photos with the Help of iCloud Photos

If you only want to download the library to the Photos 3 Mac, create a new, empty library for syncing on that mac. (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/pht6d60b524/4.0/mac/10.14)

And make a backup copy of the Photos Libraries, before trying to sync them with iCloud.

Mar 28, 2020 12:50 AM in response to malcolm82

It will be slow, yes. But it is worth the effort, if you want to work with Photos on devices with different system versions. My library has currently a size of 240GB and the upload to iCloud took more than a week.

You will be seeing a status bar below the "Moments" showing you the progress and potential problems. You may want to check this information occasionally, see: About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Can I use a "Photos" library created with Photos 4.0 with the Photos app 3.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.