You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nearly full Hard Drive after Catalina Upgrade

I upgraded to Catalina with at least 100GB of free space on my hard drive. Since updating the free space has gone down to 17GB. I tried running Time Machine but it gave an error that "2 drives had the same name, change one." I did that. See attached photo. What happened to my free space?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 7:50 AM

200 GB is not a huge amount of space these days. The upgrade to Catalina uses at least ~20GB, then you may have had apps auto-upgrade in the background to take advantage of Catalina's new features, using up even more space.

It looks like you have a lot of TV shows on your drive. How about moving a bunch of older ones to an archive disk, thereby freeing up space on your main one?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 27, 2020 7:50 AM in response to tarkin

200 GB is not a huge amount of space these days. The upgrade to Catalina uses at least ~20GB, then you may have had apps auto-upgrade in the background to take advantage of Catalina's new features, using up even more space.

It looks like you have a lot of TV shows on your drive. How about moving a bunch of older ones to an archive disk, thereby freeing up space on your main one?

Nearly full Hard Drive after Catalina Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.