You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitioning my External Hard Drive

I want to partition my External Hard Drive. I have erased and Formatted it to Mac OS Extended (journaled) and the partition option in Disk Utility is still greyed out. I have run Terminal command:

diskutil erasedisk hfs+ External GPT /dev/disk2

but I get this message:

Error: -69877: Couldn't open device

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 6:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 6:37 AM

Mikeymusic89 Said:

Partitioning my External Hard Drive: I want to partition my External Hard Drive. I have erased and Formatted it to Mac OS Extended (journaled) and the partition option in Disk Utility is still greyed out.[...]

———-

Try these Methods to Troubleshoot this:

How Else to Attempt this Format:

See if this becomes readable by:

• Using Another Mac (or even a Windows PC), as permissions may be in the way somehow
  • Booting into Safe Mode (Hold Down “shift” upon boot), in which unnecessary items are placed aside, and fixed are made toward a success it log In
  • Removing Security Software, as it may have become encrypted
  • Creating a new Administrator, seeing if you can perform this in that account. If so, then it is something misconfigured in your current user

Read/Write Errors:

Your hard drive may have become damaged/unusable, and if that is the case then, contact the manufacturer for assistance. Note that data recover can be quite pricey at times. That’s just the way it is :(

Format Type:

Verify that the format-Type is readable by your version of Mac that you are currently using.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 28, 2020 6:37 AM in response to Mikeymusic89

Mikeymusic89 Said:

Partitioning my External Hard Drive: I want to partition my External Hard Drive. I have erased and Formatted it to Mac OS Extended (journaled) and the partition option in Disk Utility is still greyed out.[...]

———-

Try these Methods to Troubleshoot this:

How Else to Attempt this Format:

See if this becomes readable by:

• Using Another Mac (or even a Windows PC), as permissions may be in the way somehow
  • Booting into Safe Mode (Hold Down “shift” upon boot), in which unnecessary items are placed aside, and fixed are made toward a success it log In
  • Removing Security Software, as it may have become encrypted
  • Creating a new Administrator, seeing if you can perform this in that account. If so, then it is something misconfigured in your current user

Read/Write Errors:

Your hard drive may have become damaged/unusable, and if that is the case then, contact the manufacturer for assistance. Note that data recover can be quite pricey at times. That’s just the way it is :(

Format Type:

Verify that the format-Type is readable by your version of Mac that you are currently using.

Partitioning my External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.