You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Incredibly Slow

MacBook has become incredibly slow and I would appreciate any help in rectifying this at all. Details of the EtreCheck can be seen below. Many thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 3:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 10:36 AM

Hard drives fail especially after 8 years of use. Plus laptops get bumped so hard drives in a laptop tend to fail much sooner than one in desktop computer. Hard drives are also just naturally slow.

Upgrading to an SSD will greatly increase system performance. You should also replace the internal hard drive SATA cable since this cable has an extremely high rate of failure on this particular laptop. Get a good SSD and not a budget economy model since those low end cheap SSDs can be just as slow as a hard drive.

Also with everything you are running you are running low on memory. Add a single 8GB memory module would also help, but to a much lesser extent than an SSD. Using an 8GB module with an original 2GB module will give you 10GB of memory. Macs are very picky about the memory used so it is best to order directly from Crucial or OWC.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 30, 2020 10:36 AM in response to Simmo333

Hard drives fail especially after 8 years of use. Plus laptops get bumped so hard drives in a laptop tend to fail much sooner than one in desktop computer. Hard drives are also just naturally slow.

Upgrading to an SSD will greatly increase system performance. You should also replace the internal hard drive SATA cable since this cable has an extremely high rate of failure on this particular laptop. Get a good SSD and not a budget economy model since those low end cheap SSDs can be just as slow as a hard drive.

Also with everything you are running you are running low on memory. Add a single 8GB memory module would also help, but to a much lesser extent than an SSD. Using an 8GB module with an original 2GB module will give you 10GB of memory. Macs are very picky about the memory used so it is best to order directly from Crucial or OWC.

Mar 30, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Simmo333

Age-related wear including contamination from airborne particles. Their enclosures use extremely fine filters but eventually enough contamination enters the interior causing read / write failures that accelerate exponentially. In short they don't last forever, seven to ten years perhaps. Fortunately they are as inexpensive as they are disposable.

Even more fortunately SSDs have diminished in price so that they're an affordable option you should consider. I wouldn't even bother opening up a MBP unless I were to replace its hard disk drive with a SSD from a reputable manufacturer known to support Macs.

Battery: Health = Replace Soon - Cycle count = 1802

That needs to be addressed also. Worn batteries will result in degraded performance, but that's not the primary factor in that Mac's performance. If Apple still services that Mac you should have them do that prior to replacing the hard disk... they are reluctant at best to even look at a Mac that has had aftermarket modifications like a SSD. I'm not certain Apple still services that Mac though. Usually they are considered "vintage" when they turn about seven years old. Find out: Batteries - Service and Recycling - Apple

/etc/hosts - Count: 95

Something's not right with that either. Presumably you know the reason but if you don't please write back.

Mar 30, 2020 12:26 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks very much for the info. New battery and SSD it is. Your link about batteries doesn't go too much into specifics but it says "Apple offers a battery replacement service for all MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro notebooks with built-in batteries." Then on the Macbook Pro link it simply lists "13-inch MacBook Pro", with no reference to year, so it looks like they will still service it. Of course I'll check with my local shop.

Mar 30, 2020 2:31 AM in response to John Galt

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the risks of downloading torrent files. I expect this is how the adware came to be installed (and I removed it as soon as I saw it in the EtreCheck report).

Out of interest, what might cause a hard drive to fail? And is it really that simple i.e. replacing it would result in a big improvement in running speed? Any recommendations on what sort of drive I should be looking for?

Many thanks.

Mar 30, 2020 12:11 PM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

If Apple still services that Mac you should have them do that prior to replacing the hard disk... they are reluctant at best to even look at a Mac that has had aftermarket modifications like a SSD. I'm not certain Apple still services that Mac though. Usually they are considered "vintage" when they turn about seven years old.

Apple very recently changed their repair policy for "Vintage" systems. Apple will now attempt repairs on "Vintage" systems as long as the necessary parts are still available. Apple considers systems "Vintage" from 5 to 7 years after the last computer was sold. Apple considers computers "Obsolete" after this seven year mark.

I agree getting an official Apple battery is the best way to go if at all possible. While Apple does have issues with some third party items typically a third party SSD won't be a problem as long as the third party part is working correctly and isn't causing a problem. Third party items do increase the chances of Apple declining support, but if the laptop has a bad hard drive then Apple will insist on replacing the hard drive as well which will increase the cost of the repair and the user will still have a slow hard drive instead of an SSD. Of course an AASP will usually be a little more forgiving than an Apple Store.

Mar 30, 2020 1:34 PM in response to Simmo333

Be sure to install an SSD drive 500-ish GB or larger. Smaller ones can be slower for no good reason, and you don't save enough to make that worthwhile. You will almost surely need to replace the drive cable at the same time, as the marginal existing cable will fail badly with a good fast SSD behind it.

It is preferable to do the install of the new MacOS using an external enclosure or adapter, and defer surgery until your drive is EXACTLY the way you want it.

Mar 30, 2020 1:51 PM in response to Simmo333

Simmo333 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations of Crucial and OWC. Couldn't see anything on Crucial's website that specifically states it is compatible with a 13" 2012 MBP but I have found something that fits this requirement from OWC.

The Crucial MX500 2.5" SATA SSD is compatible with a non-Retina laptop. Stay away from the Crucial BX500 series SSD as it is a basic budget economy model SSD which can be as slow as a hard drive.

If you are looking at a memory upgrade then either use the "Crucial Advisor Tool" to locate your exact computer model or use the "Crucial System Scanner" app to get exact memory modules which are guaranteed to be compatible with your Mac. Both of these Crucial resources are located on their website and are usually the default options when searching for memory. You can identify the exact model of your laptop by clicking on the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac".

MacBook Incredibly Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.