You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime unable to FaceTime video call

Hi- I have an iPhone SE- my mum has a brand new iPad but not an iPhone. Her FaceTime is set up with her Apple ID rather than a phone number. She can FaceTime video call me from her iPad to my phone but I cannot FaceTime video call from my phone to her iPad it only offers FaceTime audio call which is green and video is grey. Both fully updated, both have had gone and on/off buttons pressed at the same time. Any help would be appreciated, I miss seeing her face as she is in lockdown. Many thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 6:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 6:58 AM

If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Review the above to see if something may help...if you see something that might help try it.

If still the same issue do ALL the steps below and take your time pausing for a couple of minutes in between steps as Apples Servers are very busy now.

On your Mac:

In Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click Accounts and select your iMessage account. Click Sign Out.

In FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences, then click Sign Out.

On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod:

Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

Go to Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

On your iPhone:

Go back to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is turned on.

Tap Send & Receive, then choose “Use your Apple ID for iMessage” and sign in with your Apple ID.

Also FaceTime.

Using the same Apple ID, sign back in to Messages and FaceTime on your other devices. 

Also don't try FaceTime until you have completed All Steps.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 30, 2020 6:58 AM in response to mariefromseaford

If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Review the above to see if something may help...if you see something that might help try it.

If still the same issue do ALL the steps below and take your time pausing for a couple of minutes in between steps as Apples Servers are very busy now.

On your Mac:

In Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click Accounts and select your iMessage account. Click Sign Out.

In FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences, then click Sign Out.

On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod:

Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

Go to Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

On your iPhone:

Go back to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is turned on.

Tap Send & Receive, then choose “Use your Apple ID for iMessage” and sign in with your Apple ID.

Also FaceTime.

Using the same Apple ID, sign back in to Messages and FaceTime on your other devices. 

Also don't try FaceTime until you have completed All Steps.

Mar 30, 2020 8:02 AM in response to zakary50

I have played around a bit more

If I add my mums appleid to the email bit in contacts I can then FaceTime her from there.

However, if I then try and send her a text message it gets sent as an iMessage- it therefore only goes to her iPad not her mobile which is not an iPhone.

That’s fine for now because she is 84 and in lockdown but no good at all for when she is out and about again as the message will sit in her iPad at home and she will be carrying the mobile around!

So I have taken the email address off the contacts and that then does not allow me to Facetime her again 

She can FaceTime me and that works fine. 

Sent from my iPhone

FaceTime unable to FaceTime video call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.