You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting the Music app on my MacBook Pro with Catalina 10.15.3?

I have used up almost all of my hard drive and trying to free up storage capacity. I do not use I Tunes but the Music app uses 4.63gb and I don't need it. Is there a way to get rid of this?

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 8:22 AM

That 4.63 GB is not just the app. Its whatever media you have in it. What you want to delete if you don't care for it, is the music within the App. The App itself is a few hundred MB in size.

See here: Delete songs and other items in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Do note, if someone else uses that computer, you may be deleting their music.

And no, you cannot delete the App. Its a system protected App, and cannot be directly removed, nor can we assist you in bypassing the protection so it can be deleted.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2020 8:22 AM in response to Soapster53

That 4.63 GB is not just the app. Its whatever media you have in it. What you want to delete if you don't care for it, is the music within the App. The App itself is a few hundred MB in size.

See here: Delete songs and other items in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Do note, if someone else uses that computer, you may be deleting their music.

And no, you cannot delete the App. Its a system protected App, and cannot be directly removed, nor can we assist you in bypassing the protection so it can be deleted.

Mar 31, 2020 8:21 AM in response to Soapster53

Soapster53 wrote:

I have used up almost all of my hard drive and trying to free up storage capacity. I do not use I Tunes but the Music app uses 4.63gb and I don't need it. Is there a way to get rid of this?

There is no way to remove the Music.app, this is baked into the macOS.

I can add that 4.63gb does not seem like much storage to be quibbling over...

If you need to dig deeper and free up storage:

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

Try something likeOmniDiskSweeper for a GUI to get a good look at itemized file size and location:

OmniDiskSweeper http://www.omnigroup.com/more

Or alternatively from the Terminal.app, more detail copy and paste the command line:

File size, and finding missing GB— list the items in the home folder with the sizes, including invisible items.

sudo du -h -d 1 ~/

File size, and finding missing GB —will list the items in root with the sizes, including invisible items.

sudo du -h -d 1 /

User tip: "Other and What Can I Do About It ?" https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

Deleting the Music app on my MacBook Pro with Catalina 10.15.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.