You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Backup

I'm just trying to back up my sons iPhone 6. When I connect it to iTunes it recognises it, but then asks me whether I want to set it up as new phone or restore from a previous back up, neither of which I want to do?

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 10:57 AM

That is the message that is displayed to first time you connect an iPhone to a computer. The very poor wording on it always scares the heck out of me but the set up as new option is what I have done with several devices and have never lost any data. I suspect it is trying to say set up as a newly connected device to this computer (and that wording could still use improvement too).

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2020 10:57 AM in response to Mozzacalling

That is the message that is displayed to first time you connect an iPhone to a computer. The very poor wording on it always scares the heck out of me but the set up as new option is what I have done with several devices and have never lost any data. I suspect it is trying to say set up as a newly connected device to this computer (and that wording could still use improvement too).

iPhone Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.