You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Purchase

Hello,

I would like to purchase an Apple Watch for my boyfriend. I have a 4-series and I was looking to get the same one for him, but my only options seem to be the 5-series and the 3-series. Are the 4-series no longer being sold?

Thanks

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 10:00 AM

2 replies

Apr 1, 2020 5:54 PM in response to jaycie14

There are not a lot of physical differences between the Series 4 and 5, so it was an easy decision to switch the Series manufacturing equipment over to making Series 5 watches. There are differences, and here is my list:

Apple Watch Series 5 vs 4

• Always on Display using a variable rate refresh that can go down to 1 second intervals (A low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO) display is a special kind of backplane technology designed for OLED screens and developed by Apple).
  • Compass (of course your iPhone has a compass too).
  • Cellular Apple Watch has emergency calling when away from your cellular provider (international travel), or if you do not have a cellular contract for your Apple Watch. 
  • 32GB storage vs 16GB
  • Titanium and Ceramic cases available
  • S5 CPU on a Chip vs the S4 CPU 
  • Series 4 is no longer manufactured, and new in the box comes with watchOS 5 vs the Series 5 comes with watchOS 6 and requires an iPhone 6s, SE, 7 or newer running iOS 13.

Apple Watch Purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.