You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software update

I have the 2011 Macbook Pro. I am trying to update my software 10.10.5 Yosemite to the latest version. I have tried going through the app store and the apple icon at the top of screen. It states there are no new updates, but there are. I have tried getting the Catalina software, but it says I cannot get it. Please help! What should I do?

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 2:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 2:49 PM

manda7o9 Said:

software update: I have the 2011 Macbook Pro. I am trying to update my software 10.10.5 Yosemite to the latest version.[...]It states there are no new updates, but there are. I have tried getting the Catalina software, but it says I cannot get it. Please help! What should I do?

———-

Compatibly is the Issue:

Updating this Mac to Catalina is of no option. Its hardware just not compatible. Go Here: macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Get Updates from Apple Only:

To avoid scams, do not install updates from anywhere but Apple.

Upgrading to a Newer Mac:

Stay with what you have, or upgrade to a newer Mac - one that is compatible with Catalina. I upgraded my 2010 MacBook Pro to a new in 2018 MacBook Pro - and all has been fine since. In 6 years maybe I’ll have to upgrade once more. Time will tell.

What to do:

So, either upgrade to a newer Mac, or upgrade your macOS to High Sierra — the highest it will go: How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support.

Before updating create a Time Machine Backup prior to the update, so you can restore to it, should anything go wrong with the update: Back Up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 1, 2020 2:49 PM in response to manda7o9

manda7o9 Said:

software update: I have the 2011 Macbook Pro. I am trying to update my software 10.10.5 Yosemite to the latest version.[...]It states there are no new updates, but there are. I have tried getting the Catalina software, but it says I cannot get it. Please help! What should I do?

———-

Compatibly is the Issue:

Updating this Mac to Catalina is of no option. Its hardware just not compatible. Go Here: macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Get Updates from Apple Only:

To avoid scams, do not install updates from anywhere but Apple.

Upgrading to a Newer Mac:

Stay with what you have, or upgrade to a newer Mac - one that is compatible with Catalina. I upgraded my 2010 MacBook Pro to a new in 2018 MacBook Pro - and all has been fine since. In 6 years maybe I’ll have to upgrade once more. Time will tell.

What to do:

So, either upgrade to a newer Mac, or upgrade your macOS to High Sierra — the highest it will go: How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support.

Before updating create a Time Machine Backup prior to the update, so you can restore to it, should anything go wrong with the update: Back Up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.