You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After catalina update, software update notification will not go away

I completed the update and when I go into software update, it says my mac is up to date but that notification (1) will not go away. Anyone know how to fix this?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 4:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 7:45 AM

Sjl011 wrote:

I completed the update and when I go into software update, it says my mac is up to date but that notification (1) will not go away. Anyone know how to fix this?

Then to suppress the red badge icon on the Dock, from the Terminal.app, copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && killall Dock

quit the Terminal.app

then from your Finder >Go>Go To Folder copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist 

delete this plist and reboot

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2020 7:45 AM in response to Sjl011

Sjl011 wrote:

Then to suppress the red badge icon on the Dock, from the Terminal.app, copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && killall Dock

quit the Terminal.app

then from your Finder >Go>Go To Folder copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist 

delete this plist and reboot

After catalina update, software update notification will not go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.