You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canopus AVDC-100 - VHS video capture software that works with OS 10.15?

Several years and several Macs and several OS X's ago I successfully used my Canopus AVDC-100 to capture VHS tapes, vinyl records etc. to digital. Using VLC or iMovie I think. I don't remember.

I set up the very same AVDC-100 on my 2018 iMac running Catalina (10.15.4) and I cannot get any software to "see" the AVDC-100 as a device... Not Finder, not VLC, not Audio Hijack...

Anybody using the AVDC-100 (or similar) successfully with OS 10.15? What capture software works?

Advanced Apple support is no help. They list compatible cameras for iMovie but no other hardware or software such as USB based video capture devices. I've seen entries that suggest buying a compatible camera with analog inputs and running the VHS machine thru the camera to iMovie via the camera's video-out. I'd prefer not to buy a camera for this function.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 6:42 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 2, 2020 11:56 PM in response to ElJeffe2000

I don't think that buying a DV camcorder to perform the analog to digital transfer would be any different, as the camcorder would be performing the same task.

The Canopus output is DV which is the same as that from the camcorder. The electronics would be the same.

You could try importing using the Record feature in QuickTime Player but I fear you would get the same results as your Mac is not seeing the Canopus, worth a try though??

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201066

I expect you no longer have the old Macs that worked for you with the Canopus.??

If you do still have any of them then this may be your only solution and then transfer the imported video to your new Mac.

In short, importing DV from tape and the likes of the Canopus has become increasingly difficult over a combination of the recent operating systems and hardware. Typical issues have been no audio or no video with audio or like you, nothing at all.

There does not appear to be a particular reason for this as many continue to be able to import but on the other hand many do not. Hit and miss.

What does not help ,of course, is the additional adaptors that need to be used for getting the "FireWire " into the newer Macs.

The latest Macs need 2 adaptors in addition to the FireWire cable, but you know this already.

You then ask yourself " are my adaptors working OK, should I try some others ?" Very frustrating as the 2 adaptors together cost about$80.

If you still have the older Mac , that worked with the Canopus, then dust it down now.

Apr 2, 2020 5:26 PM in response to ElJeffe2000

Hi,

Welcome to the Apple iMovie Community.

There are contributors here who have done VHS conversions and probably would know the answer to your question.

Regrettably I am not one of them. I just didn't want you to think that you were being ignored. Because your

question is not too common on this forum, you may need to be patient until someone knowledgeable sees

your post.

Good luck with this.

-- Rich

Apr 2, 2020 8:18 PM in response to ElJeffe2000

I have been using a Canopus AVDC 100 & 110 for many years. Originally with OS 10.8.5 through to 10.14.6. I initially ran iMovie 6 HD and now with OS 10.14.6. I can use it with iMovie 10.1.11 and 10.1 14. I can run any video and audio source into it for video capture. iMovie 6 HD runs OK in Mojave with a small modification but I don't think it runs in Catalina, also not sure if Catalina would read the ADVC.

Apr 3, 2020 10:07 AM in response to ElJeffe2000

Thanks for all the replies! I appears that one of many casualties of my Mac and OS upgrades is my Canopus video capture hardware. I have an old iMac with OS 10.12 that I am using as a dedicated central storage server. I could take the Canopus and all the analog A/V equipment and try to get it running there. But I'm willing to spend a little to update the hardware (and software?) and use my new iMac.

NEW QUESTION (should I start a new thread?):

HOW TO CAPTURE VHS TAPES with reasonably high resolution (720 x 480?) and STEREO SOUND

using iMac (2018 with USB 3.1 and USB 2.1 hubs) and OS 10.15.4 (Catalina).

Other installed software includes:

QuickTime 10.5

iMovie 10.1

VLC 3.0.8

Audio Hijack 3

BACKGROUND AND DETAILS

Per the discussions below, the Canopus AVDC-100 does not work with OS 10.15 and assorted A/V software. So I bought a Macromedia VC500.

iMovie 10.1 does not "see" either the AVDC-100 or VC500 as a device.

Quicktime 10.1 - as advertised Quicktime supports VC500 audio / video capture BUT Quicktime's audio is strictly mono.  An unacceptable loss for some of my recordings. Also Quicktime's video output choices are limited. (I tried the Soundflower kludge to get stereo from Quicktime by using Audio Midi Setup to create and "aggregate device". But Soundflower is not compatible with OS 10.15.)

MOAVI suffers from the same problem as iMovie. It does not recognize the VC500’s existence. I can’t find any way to select an audio or video input device. 

VLC 3.0.8 “sees” the VC500. Under the “File” menu is an “Open Capture Device” which produces a pop up screen allowing you to select the VC500 as a video and audio device. Unfortunately when you attempt to run a session with the VC500 selected as an audio device you get an “…unable to open MRL ‘qtsound:// AppleUSBAudioEngine:Unknown Manufacturer: USB 28286” error.

Debut 6.09 also sees the VC500 as a “Webcam" audio and video capture device. Unlike VLC Debut works generally well for video capture. Unlike Quicktime it allows you to select your encoding (e.g. .mp4). And you can adjust the audio and video quality settings for each encoding selection under “Encoder options”.  Under “Video options” you can select resolution input as high as 1920x1080.  However, like Quicktime, the audio capture is inferior. Perhaps there are some audio encoder options I need to set differently - but I'd prefer a simple stereo in - stereo out interface (see Audio Hijack below).

Audio Hijack 3 proves that the VC500 can detect and pass thru excellent audio. The Audio Hijack interface is easy to use. The VC500 shows up as a capture device.  There is a large number of output formats to choose from and the capture is clear stereo. ...but no video.

Does anyone using a new (2018) iMac running Catalina (10.15.4) know of reasonably priced ($200 or less?):

Capture software for the VC500 OR (USB based) video capture hardware / software bundle

that produces reasonably high resolution (720 x 480 or better?) video like Debut (or better) and stereo audio like Audio Hijack.

I’ve been searching and testing for days now. The digital A/V forums are way over my head.

Apr 11, 2020 9:49 AM in response to logic79

Hey -

Thanks for the positive report. What mac setup are you using to capture the AVDC-100 digital out?

I gave up on my new iMac and went downstairs to my old one....

I have an old iMac (late 2009) running OS 10.11

iMovie 09 ver. 8.06

VLC ver 2.26

I have my VCR composite out (YRW) jacked into the analog composite in on the front analog in of the AVDC-100 (analog in lite lit)

I have the firewire digital out of the AVDC-100 jacked into the firewire in on the iMac

Both iMovie and VLC don't show any "camera" attached for video capture.

What am I missing?

Canopus AVDC-100 - VHS video capture software that works with OS 10.15?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.