You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't restore folders from iCloud

My iCloud account kept nagging me that it was nearly full, so finally I agreed to "manage" the account by unchecking one of the items, Safari. After I clicked to save, suddenly everything on my desktop disappeared. The query appeared, "save deleted files to your mac?" which seemed odd, since i wasn't aware of deleting anything. I clicked yes, of course, but nothing happened. Then i noticed that my Documents file was empty. I rebooted, but nothing was fixed. I noticed then that Finder showed empty Documents and Desktop folders under Favorites, instead of under iCloud. Calmer now the next morning, I have checked my iCloud account through the web and see the missing Documents and Desktop folders, with all their contents. That's great, except that I am not allowed to download them. The only option I am given is to delete! How might I recover these folders intact?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 6:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 10:09 AM

I figured it out. The deleted folders were indeed saved on my mac, in a folder, iCloud Archive. Why didn't they tell me that's where they put them, instead of showing new EMPTY folders for Documents and Desktop under Favorites? It's as if I asked my wife if she wanted me to put the dishes away, she said 'yes', and then I took the dishes from the dishwasher and from the kitchen cabinets too, put them in all boxes labeled Kitchen Archives, and stored them in the attic, and then, as a finishing touch, I put signs on the empty cabinets, "DISHES."

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2020 10:09 AM in response to JYucca

I figured it out. The deleted folders were indeed saved on my mac, in a folder, iCloud Archive. Why didn't they tell me that's where they put them, instead of showing new EMPTY folders for Documents and Desktop under Favorites? It's as if I asked my wife if she wanted me to put the dishes away, she said 'yes', and then I took the dishes from the dishwasher and from the kitchen cabinets too, put them in all boxes labeled Kitchen Archives, and stored them in the attic, and then, as a finishing touch, I put signs on the empty cabinets, "DISHES."

Can't restore folders from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.