You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV repeatedly crashes when playing music via homesharing

Hello. Recently got a new 4K Apple TV. In the last couple of days, when I try to use the Computers app to play music from my iMac via Homesharing, it plays for only a few seconds before it stops and resets to the home screen. All software is up to date. I've tried restarting, restoring, nothing works. Worked fine for a couple weeks; this crashing problem started just a couple of days ago. Has anyone else experienced this?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 5:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 10:02 AM

DanielMac77 Said:

"Apple TV repeatedly crashes when playing music via homesharing: Hello. Recently got a new 4K Apple TV. In the last couple of days, when I try to use the Computers app to play music from my iMac via Homesharing, it plays for only a few seconds before it stops and resets to the home screen. All software is up to date. I've tried restarting, restoring, nothing works. Worked fine for a couple weeks; this crashing problem started just a couple of days ago. Has anyone else experienced this?"

Restart the Router:

This often happens to me when streaming content. Far too much network traffic is going through, not necessarily from your side.

So, as I do,...

I. Restart the router:

1. Unplug: your Router
  2. Wait: 30 Seconds
  3. Power Up: your Router

Then...

II. Restart the Apple TV:

1. Unplug: your Apple TV
  3. Power Up: your Apple TV

Then...

III. Try this All Once More:

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 4, 2020 10:02 AM in response to DanielMac77

DanielMac77 Said:

"Apple TV repeatedly crashes when playing music via homesharing: Hello. Recently got a new 4K Apple TV. In the last couple of days, when I try to use the Computers app to play music from my iMac via Homesharing, it plays for only a few seconds before it stops and resets to the home screen. All software is up to date. I've tried restarting, restoring, nothing works. Worked fine for a couple weeks; this crashing problem started just a couple of days ago. Has anyone else experienced this?"

Restart the Router:

This often happens to me when streaming content. Far too much network traffic is going through, not necessarily from your side.

So, as I do,...

I. Restart the router:

1. Unplug: your Router
  3. Power Up: your Router

Then...

II. Restart the Apple TV:

1. Unplug: your Apple TV
  3. Power Up: your Apple TV

Then...

III. Try this All Once More:

Apple TV repeatedly crashes when playing music via homesharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.