You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to use Camera on my new LG 5K monitor instead of the built-in camera on my Macbook Pro

I have a brand new LG 5K monitor, but I can't get the camera on the monitor to work in place of the camera on my Macbook Pro. I've checked FT and it is set to use the Camera on the LG, but I get nothing except an error from FT saying there is No Video. Is is possible the camera is bad on the new monitor? How could I test that?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 4:22 PM

Issue resolved! The camera was defective on the LG monitor. Replaced the LG monitor today and everything works perfectly. In my case I was able to return the defective monitor for a refund and order a new one. Beautiful monitor. Am very happy with it!

3 replies

Apr 9, 2020 8:52 AM in response to TMMatUSC

Greetings, TMMatUSC.

I see that you'd rather use FaceTime on your external display. The problem is, you get an error that FaceTime has no video available on the external, and I'm glad to help with this.

Choose a camera or microphone for FaceTime calls on Mac -- Since you changed the setting in FaceTime specifically, try selecting the LG Camera in System Preferences > Display.

Use external monitors with your Mac -- If changing the camera used in system preference didn't resolve the issue, move the FaceTime app to the external display to see if it uses the camera there.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care.

Apr 9, 2020 12:21 PM in response to i_rina

I see the LG monitor in my System Preferences > Display, but there is nothing I can find that refers to the camera.

I did try moving my FaceTime app to the external display (although was trying it primarily using it in mirror mode), and same issue.

Speakers on LG monitor work great. Just not camera. After a good bit on the phone with LG, they think it's a bad camera. I have a new one on order and am hoping it will work, but am afraid (since this is a brand new monitor) that it's something else and not a hardware issue.

Terrie

Trying to use Camera on my new LG 5K monitor instead of the built-in camera on my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.