You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad backup won’t complete

IPad won’t complete backup. Have extra storage in iCloud, good WiFi connection, and am updated to latest version This is iPad 5th gen Not iPad 2

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 7:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 7:50 AM

These are the somewhat basic and quite obvious, (IMO) suggestions from Apple copies form here.

If you can't back up to iCloud or restore from iCloud backup failed - Apple Support

If a message says that your last backup couldn't be completed

1. Check that you're connected to Wi-Fi.
  2. Ensure your device is up to date.
  3. Try to back up on another Wi-Fi network.
  4. If you still need help, contact Apple Support.

It has been a while since this happened to me but what I always tried was this series of steps.

• Turn off iCloud backups, if possible. Restart the device, turn the backups on again and try a manual backup.
  • If I get the spinning wheel when trying to turn off the backup, force close the settings app, restart the device, try a manual backup.
  • Force restart my device and try another backup.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2020 7:50 AM in response to Heritageguy

These are the somewhat basic and quite obvious, (IMO) suggestions from Apple copies form here.

If you can't back up to iCloud or restore from iCloud backup failed - Apple Support

If a message says that your last backup couldn't be completed

1. Check that you're connected to Wi-Fi.
  2. Ensure your device is up to date.
  3. Try to back up on another Wi-Fi network.
  4. If you still need help, contact Apple Support.

It has been a while since this happened to me but what I always tried was this series of steps.

• Turn off iCloud backups, if possible. Restart the device, turn the backups on again and try a manual backup.
  • If I get the spinning wheel when trying to turn off the backup, force close the settings app, restart the device, try a manual backup.
  • Force restart my device and try another backup.

Apr 7, 2020 4:13 PM in response to Heritageguy

Heritageguy wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Tried your suggestions with no results. This started after we changed internet provider. Thinking maybe there’s something there. Thanks again for trying to help.

Realizing that your phone backs up fine and that everything else works internet related, it might be worth a try to reboot your router.

iPad backup won’t complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.